No chill containers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radiodome21

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm just trying to figure out which size container to get for a 5 gallon all grain batch I'm going to be making via BIAB. 5 or 6? Don't anticipate fermenting in it either b/c it seems like it would be a little tricky cleaning it out. I plan on buying a container from US plastics too.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Needs to contain all the wort, and cold break. I'd say 5.25-5.5 gal would suffice. Any excess wort you could use for a starter.

How long do you intend to keep the wort in that container. If your intent is simply to leave it there to cool to pitching temperature, you can use a plastic fermenter bucket. Pour it in hot and put the lid on. The steam will pasteurize the lid. A one piece airlock is best because it won't suck the liquid back but you can use a 3 piece if you are careful about the amount of liquid you use. When the wort is cool, aerate the wort and pitch the yeast.

If your intent is to store wort for a week or more, then you need to use a container that can be squeezed to eliminate as much air as possible.

More than 24 hours. I like the idea of brewing in the fall and pitching yeast in the winter.

The 5 gallon Winpak from US Plastics is actually about 5.25-5.5 gallons, giving you less head space, making purging the air a bit easier. I typically brew 6-gallon batches, so I went with that size, but if you're strictly at 5 gallons, go with that.

More than 24 hours. I like the idea of brewing in the fall and pitching yeast in the winter.

You should consider purging any air space with CO2 if you will be saving wort for that long of a time period. Oxygen permeability will also need to be considered. Glass may be the best container.

You can't really rack near-boiling wort into a room-temp glass container. You risk thermal shock, shattering the glass, wasting your precious wort, and possibly (probably) injuring yourself. With plastic you can squeeze the excess air out instead of flushing with CO2. Some no-chill brewers have left their wort in its (plastic) cube for up to 6 months without ill effect. I've only ever gone a few weeks, but the beer still turned out awesome.

That's what I use.
I'd be worried that the glue holding the rubber top/bottom might melt or crack. Has this been an issue?

where can buy those plastic cubes in the US?
Round
Square
Make sure you get a drum wrench too. I've had far too many days struggling to open sealed cubes barehanded.

EDIT: changed the link to a more convenient one.

I'd be worried that the glue holding the rubber top/bottom might melt or crack. Has this been an issue?

I've done it a few time and didnt have any issues, didnt even notice anything loose or wiggly. Maybe djt17 or someone else that has more experience can chime in.

Thanks e2
but I should have been more specific the ones that you can squeeze the air out of

Hmm. How do you do that? Drain it into the keg and then top it off with co2?

Round
Square
Make sure you get a drum wrench too. I've had far too many days struggling to open sealed cubes barehanded.

EDIT: changed the link to a more convenient one.

Yep. These containers are capable of dealing with near-boiling liquids without a sweat. The wrench is optional, but I wish I had it at times.. wort is a sticky mess when dried on threads.

Btw, if anybody gets these containers to use as a fermenter, cut out the center part of the cap and use a 5.5 stopper. The 11 or 12 size doesn't work nearly as well in the wide opening.

Hmm, you could easily drill a hole, add a grommet and then an airlock. Why not use this 6G pail as a fermentor too.

Hmm, you could easily drill a hole, add a grommet and then an airlock. Why not use this 6G pail as a fermentor too.

Are you referring to the plastic cubes I linked above? If so, the opening takes a #11 stopper, or there's threading in the lid. Open the hole and you can either put in a smaller stopper (#4, maybe?) or a pipe thread-to-hose barb fitting for a blow-off. Just need to buy an extra lid so you have one that seals and one to drill out.

You can use a 5 gallon corny. Brew a higher strength 3.5-4 gallon batch and just top up post fermentation to 5 gallons with water in the keg.

Latest posts

Back