No carbonation after 3 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foghorn

Reaction score
I brewed a pale ale and kegged it. I have always did the "burst" technique, and has always seemed to work. However this batch will not carb. I did about 30 psi for 48 hours, then dropped it to 12psi for 5 days. I drew a pint and it had just a hint of carbonation. So I checked my seals and did it again still nothing. I am no physicist or chemist but I do know Boyle's law that the gas should be forced in. But could there be some chemical reason in my ale that will not allow the carbonation? I am about ready to crank up my regulator as high as it can go! BTW the ale tastes great even flat, so I am super eager to get some effervescence!

I brewed a pale ale and kegged it. I have always did the "burst" technique, and has always seemed to work. However this batch will not carb. I did about 30 psi for 48 hours, then dropped it to 12psi for 5 days. !

That's one week. The title says 3 weeks.What temperature is the keg? It will carb up faster if it's cold. Any chance the keg is totally full with no headspace? Does it poor out of the faucet normally or gush?

If it's really been 3 weeks and there is NO carbonation, either the CO2 is not getting into the keg or there is a leak somewhere. I'm not aware of any chemical reaction that would prevent carbonation.

I would unhook everything and vent the keg. Then hook it back up and make sure you hear CO2 going into the keg. If so, I would start looking for a leak.

One more thought ... any chance this is a newly refilled CO2 tank and maybe it got filled with something other than CO2?

One more thought ... any chance this is a newly refilled CO2 tank and maybe it got filled with something other than CO2?
It is a newly filled CO2 tank, but I did get it filled at a beverage center, so I would assume it would be CO2! As for the time line I did the first week , checked it did it again he second week, and now it has been sitting at 12 psi, for another week or so. I have refrigerator set at 43 degrees so should be cold enough.
I ran through the seals, soaped connections and re applied keg lube to the seals, and did not see any leaks.
I did have very little headspace, but I would think that constant pressure it would move through the beer. will that make a difference?
As for pouring it flows well... So what you say about maybe keg is not CO2, kind of makes sense? How would I check?

I'm not sure. Maybe call the place you got it filled and tell them what's happening and see what they say. Ultimately the only way to know for sure is probably to get another tank and see if the beer carbs up normally on that.

Hopefully some other folks here will have some ideas for you.

Back