No boil, no chill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

traviswalken

Reaction score
I am an all grain brewer but sometimes struggle to fit brewing into the schedule.

I wonder if this would turn out a decent beer:

1. Bring 4.5 gallons water to boil while steeping grains to 165f

2. Add dme and hops to corny keg

3. Transfer boiled water to corny

4. Purge with co2 to drive off o2 and seal

5. Lost cool, pitch yeast, attach blowoff, ferment

I have done a 15 minute pale ale before, but it still took about 90 minutes to boil, chill, and clean.

I have heard cube hop additions are comparable to 20 minute additions, so I would hop accordingly.

Anybody else done this?

I am an all grain brewer but sometimes struggle to fit brewing into the schedule.

I wonder if this would turn out a decent beer:

1. Bring 4.5 gallons water to boil while steeping grains to 165f

2. Add dme and hops to corny keg

3. Transfer boiled water to corny

4. Purge with co2 to drive off o2 and seal

5. Lost cool, pitch yeast, attach blowoff, ferment

I have done a 15 minute pale ale before, but it still took about 90 minutes to boil, chill, and clean.

I have heard cube hop additions are comparable to 20 minute additions, so I would hop accordingly.

Anybody else done this?

Never tried this but I'm curious myself. One thing to point out though is in step 4 (or really better in step 5) you really want to oxygenate the wort at that point. The fermentation will consume the O2, then fill the headspace with CO2, preventing oxidation staling. Without the initial oxygenation, the fermentation won't be optimally healthy.

I know you'll get some hops isomerization while it cools, but I don't know how much less than a 60 minute boil. That might be tough to predict without experimentation.

I bet some folks have done stuff similar to what you're saying (I know there are such individual practices as no boil and no chill) so I'd guess it will make a decent beer.

Never tried this but I'm curious myself. One thing to point out though is in step 4 (or really better in step 5) you really want to oxygenate the wort at that point. The fermentation will consume the O2, then fill the headspace with CO2, preventing oxidation staling. Without the initial oxygenation, the fermentation won't be optimally healthy.

I know you'll get some hops isomerization while it cools, but I don't know how much less than a 60 minute boil. That might be tough to predict without experimentation.

I should have oxygenation in my original question. Yes, I will oxygenate when I pitch.

From what I have read, no chill hop additions are about 20 minutes different than chill. For example, if you add hops at 40 minutes to a no chill batch, it is similar to a 60 minute addition in a regular batch. I am planning to brew an ipa, so I plan to put .75 oz citra, 1 oz. simcoe, and 1 oz. sorachi ace in the corny and transfer the hot wort. I am figure this will give me a hop bursted result.

By the way, I did change my mind a little. I am going to add the DME to the boil kettle for 5 minutes to help prevent contamination.

How did this no boil / no chill turn out? I'm especially interested in your hopping schedule.

Back