NJ Pine Barren Honey- anyone used it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrOH

Reaction score
New Jersey Pine Barren Honey stares at me from the shelf every time I go to the LHBS. Anyone ever used it? What does it taste like? I'm thinking of making a braggot with it.

Is there lots of pint trees in New Jersey? For that matter, do bees even get nectar from pine trees? I don't think so lol. No they don't. (I live where practically the only trees are pine trees, and they are everywhere. That was a dumb question......)

I read an article this week about a young man about 17 who has over 150 beehives. Part of the year he has then in the Pine Barrens for a special honey.

While this is an old thread I'm hoping someone has actually tried this. I have 15 lbs of this honey and it is basically a wildflower honey with notes of leather and blackstrap molasses. I will be making a test batch in a few weeks following up with a 5 gallon batch after tasting and seeing what flavors can be added to enhance natural flavors..

New Jersey Pine Barren Honey stares at me from the shelf every time I go to the LHBS. Anyone ever used it? What does it taste like? I'm thinking of making a braggot with it.

At costco i am buying clover honey for about $14 pier 5 lbs. This comes with a guarantee that this is a real honey... about $35 for 1 gallon with no shipping...

Dutch Gold, order online also has good prices, but costco is better.

Since I am in Northern NJ (greater NYC area) if you know a good local source for honey that I can use for brewing and drive to pick it up, please let me know. :)

my theory is that since i am not brewing pure honey, I am brewing honey and fruits expensive gourmet honey might be a waste of money.

hmm, Adding Honey Malt to mead would be an interesting experiment....

I support braggot and spigot rights to marry ! :) :fro:

Latest posts

Back