Nissan Rogue or Altima? Which one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm getting a company car and I have two choices, a Nissan Rogue or an Altima. I'm not sure of the particulars, like if it's fully loaded or base model. I'm assuming base model. Does anybody have either of these cars. I'm familiar with Nissan, since I've driven Maxima's for years. I've had 4 of them and love the car, but I don't know much about the other two. Any reviews?

One's styled like a smallish SUV with a hatchback the other is their sedan between Sentra and Maxima. My neighbor really likes his Rouge. I really like my Sentra.

One's styled like a smallish SUV with a hatchback the other is their sedan between Sentra and Maxima. My neighbor really likes his Rouge. I really like my Sentra.

Yeah, I know the Altima pretty well, just not the Rogue. I think the Rogue is all wheel drive, which I like. I figured the Altima is similar to my Maxima, so I was thinking on the Rogue But I read the Rogue was loud when driving, so I don't know.

I owned a Rogue before returning it for previous posted reasons. It is AWD and handles really well in bad weather, I wouldn't consider it loud either. You can fit more than you think in the back of that guy also if that is feature that interests you over a sedan.

They are basically the same car, engineering wise. I believe they share the same drivetrain. I had a Rogue (wife's car) and the and the CVT (transmission) went at 30k miles. But, it was covered under warranty. 5 days later it was fixed. They extended the warranty to 125k for that CVT, and I think the Altima was included in that.

Regardless, it doesn't matter because the issues have (according to Nissan) been sorted for the second generation Rogue. Given the option of the two, I would go with the Rogue. But really its a matter of preference over engineering, as I think they both share the same drivetrain, technology, etc.

[EDIT: Assuming base model, 2.5 liter engines. You can get the Altima with the 3.5, I believe]

Buddy is a Nissan tech, pretty much certed as far as you can with Nissan and he chose a Rogue over an Altima for his wife. Not sure how much that really says; but he's the first to call Nissan out for BS or bad design, so figured I'd share that. I did spend a day driving his Rogue around while he was doing some work on my wife's car. I can't knock the thing, it was really nice and comfortable.

I'm getting a company car and I have two choices, a Nissan Rogue or an Altima. I'm not sure of the particulars, like if it's fully loaded or base model. I'm assuming base model. Does anybody have either of these cars. I'm familiar with Nissan, since I've driven Maxima's for years. I've had 4 of them and love the car, but I don't know much about the other two. Any reviews?
If that avatar is you and your son, and he plays hockey, and you'll shuttle him & his stuff in your company car, then I'd go with the Rogue. It's SUV/Crossover, and as TexasDroughtBrewery said, its AWD, not loud, and can carry more stuff. Here's an older guy's take, I hate squatting to get into/out of a car/sedan, so the nice thing about that size vehicle is you just scoot your a$$ right in.
:mug:

If that avatar is you and your son, and he plays hockey, and you'll shuttle him & his stuff in your company car, then I'd go with the Rogue. It's SUV/Crossover, and as TexasDroughtBrewery said, its AWD, not loud, and can carry more stuff. Here's an older guy's take, I hate squatting to get into/out of a car/sedan, so the nice thing about that size vehicle is you just scoot your a$$ right in.
:mug:

Yeah, That's us. I coach, he plays. It would be nice to put our hockey bags in something other than my Maxima. I sometimes use my wife's SUV, but mostly my car. I think I'm gonna go with the Rogue. I'll test drive before anyways. Thanks guys!!!

The Altima is a standard looking sedan with no pros or cons.
The Rogue is a CUV that was one of the ugliest cars ever designed before they changed it. Now it is just a standard CUV.

If you need cargo space go for the Rogue. If you just need transportation go for the Altima.

The Rogue has improved in recent years. I do believe they have the same motor. If it's not cost to you (or same cost, I had to pay for my company car at my old gig before I quit), I'd go with the Rogue. If you have to pay extra for it, especially if it's not AWD I'd stick with the Altima.

I own 2 altimas... a 2005 and a 2010.

The 2005 has been pretty solid aside from some issues from the factory (faulty turn switch would turn headlights off when going around corner, and rear tail lights not fully plugged in). Only issue aside from maintenance was a crankshaft position sensor, and that was a known issue. Car is up to 167k miles now and is starting to have transmission issues.

The 2010 has been a piece of shot that i regret buying, even with its cheap price.
-Factory tires only lasted 20k miles
-Wheel hub bearing failed at 37k miles (this is a part that should never fail)
-All 4 power door latch actuators failed betwen 40-50k miles (another part that should never fail)
-Brake switch failed at 60k miles. Cruise control brake switch fails intermittently but can be fixed by unplugging, replugging.
-Factory brakes replaced at 66k miles (ok but my '05 didn't need first breaks until 90k)

If i didn't have to pay for it i'd go with the Altima, but i prefer full sized sedans over small wuss SUVs.

The 2010 was the last Nissan for me. We looked at 2015s and they've taken so much cost out of them they aren't worth buying any more.

[...]The Rogue is a CUV that was one of the ugliest cars ever designed before they changed it. Now it is just a standard CUV.[...]

So, the 2017 must be a regression, because I was just looking at the next model year and that thing definitely got beaten with an Ugly Stick.

Buy a 2016 before it's too late!

Cheers! ;)

The Rogue is a CUV that was one of the ugliest cars ever designed before they changed it.

Apparently, you have never seen a Murano Crosscabriolet in the wild.

2014-nissan-murano-crosscabriolet-base-cars-in-gloucester-township-nj.jpg

I don't know, I just did a quick search for a picture of the convertible murano on the Internet.

My wife had a 2012 rogue, but we got rid of it when the lease was up and bought a new ford explorer. We liked the rogue a lot, it was a really good car considering the cost. I was happy with it, mostly.

Nissan has the CVT Transmission that is known to give out. So much in fact that Nissan extended a warranty on them so they would keep selling. Here is the warranty they extended.

http://www.nissanassist.com/ProgramDetails.php?menu=2

https://www.cars.com/articles/2013-2016-nissan-altima-rogue-transmission-issue-1420683183828/

I would try and argue for something more reliable.

the tranney finally gave out in my Titan, at 231,000 miles.......never had a problem with it once before. Replaced the tranney and the motor for about 6k, and its basically a brand new truck. Have had it for 11 years, and will probably have it for another 11 years. So ya, if you dont take care of it, there may be problems. But regular check ups, tlc and a little love, and its great.

WP_20160617_12_06_53_Pro.jpg

the tranney finally gave out in my Titan, at 231,000 miles.......never had a problem with it once before. Replaced the tranney and the motor for about 6k, and its basically a brand new truck. Have had it for 11 years, and will probably have it for another 11 years. So ya, if you dont take care of it, there may be problems. But regular check ups, tlc and a little love, and its great.

Except it has nothing to do with regular check ups and tlc when you are comparing apples to oranges. If your 4x4 Titan is running on a CVT transmission then we can talk about it.

Latest posts

Back