Nickel, chrome, or stainless

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johns

Reaction score
I have an idea about buying here and putting it in the bottom of my brew pot. I could also adjust the height by installing some nuts and posts on the bottom of it to make it higher if need be, but I probably would not need to do that.

The question I have is that it looks like its stainless, but when I see it on a sears website its listed as nickel plated. I don’t think that it would be dangerous to put in boiling water repeatedly, but I just want to post here to make sure what other forum members have to say about it. Sears What is the effect of cooking with something that is nickel plated or chrome plated, as opposed to stainless? Does chrome or nickel impart any off flavors?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chrome or Nickel would be fine. The problem is the PLATED part. It likely is cheaply plated so there will be voids. This will let water get at the base metal and cause rust. You're better off finding something that works at a commercial kitchen supply store so you know it is stainless.

Don't use that piece of crap inside your kettle.. That nickel plated will be gone almost immediately, and I will start giving off rust like nobodies business.

Old thread. Searching but can't find answer.

Does anyone have any actual experience with a nickel chrome steamer like this?

Seems like if it's a steamer used for food that it would be safe in a pot for an hour or two.

not really sure why but stainless seems to be the best option. I was thinking about getting a separate basket or grill for my pot but settled on a 80 quart steamer.

not really sure why but stainless seems to be the best option. I was thinking about getting a separate basket or grill for my pot but settled on a 80 quart steamer.

Stainless is safe for all stages of brewing and easily sanitized and cleaned. That is why. Plus it adds bling, lasts forever and is the trendy thing to have. :)

This one claims to be stainless, but the Amazon reviews make me think that it's either not stainless or one of the grades of stainless that rusts, so that's why they plate it. The trouble is that this is the perfect size for my kettle and I haven't seen another steamer this size that's advertised as stainless.

My biggest worry is that it's not food safe in a kettle?

Latest posts

Back