Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have a clue what’s holding Chicago up? KC was same weekend and their results were posted yesterday.
John Moorhead was in KC. The scoresheets physically flew back with him on Sunday. He has access to a good and fast scanner and got things done immediately. Contrast with Chicago, where they would have to have either had access to a similar scanner, or, they'd have to mail them to Boulder. I'm assuming they did the latter.

So you are telling me we need to stalk him next and see where he helps out.

Well, I got my scoresheets today and I'm absolutely baffled by the scores and comments. I brewed two beers: a NEIPA in 21B and a Blonde Ale (the Centennial Blonde recipe) in 18A.

I was honestly embarrassed to send the NEIPA as it was a total diacetyl bomb. I tried to drink it, but dumped out 4.5 gallons of the keg as I considered it undrinkable. It scored a 31 (32 & 30). One judge noted a "slight buttery note" but did not check diacetyl in the defects section, the other said "no defects". One said too bitter for style and quite bitter, the other said not very bitter.

The Blonde scored a 27 (28 & 26) and was "not to style". It was way too bitter and hoppy they said. Comments were "flavorful and interesting, but not necessarily the approachable character expected for the style". This is a 5 gallon batch with 1 ounce total of hops. Calculated IBU was 24 and it was chilled very quickly with my hydra chiller. My friend's wife, who will only drink beers that are not hoppy (corona, Stella Artois, etc.) thought it was fantastic. At 4.7% they said it was alcoholic/hot.

So the diacetyl bomb that I expected reports of serious flaws and a score in the teens (a courtesy 13 would not have surprised me) out performed what I considered a fantastic Blonde Ale that I expected to be in contention for a medal.

I would have thought they were flipped except that the blonde ale was "bright and clear" and the NEIPA was hazy.

I don't mind that I didn't score well, but the relative performance of these two beers and the conflicting comments make the experience hollow. I really can't draw anything from this other than utter confusion.

Unfortunately that’s just part of competitions. As much as the BJCP attempts to create a fair environment things like place in the flight, what categories get grouped together, and that judges palate at that particular moment have big impacts. Then you have the mini best of show aspect. Last year my 44 Point Helles didn’t move on to finals because it was beat in the mini best of show. It was great to style but didn’t stand out amongst the others. Just part of the game!

My international dark lager made it through. I assume I have to submit to the same category for the finals? This was actually brewed as a Schwarz but based on some earlier comp feedback and some help from some local BJCPs I submitted it as an international dark lager. I will need to rebrew so I could up the roast and darken the color and try to get it in the 8B category.

Unfortunately that’s just part of competitions. As much as the BJCP attempts to create a fair environment things like place in the flight, what categories get grouped together, and that judges palate at that particular moment have big impacts. Then you have the mini best of show aspect. Last year my 44 Point Helles didn’t move on to finals because it was beat in the mini best of show. It was great to style but didn’t stand out amongst the others. Just part of the game!

Yeah, I think I'm going to skip the comps going forward.

I have a co-worker who doesn't like craft beers and only drinks macros. I gave him a bottle of the blonde and his only complaint was that he only got one bottle. Yet the judges say it's not the easy drinking approachable beer that's appropriate for the style.

Then another pair of judges miss a seriously flawed diacetyl bomb? Shrug...either the judges were really crappy or they weren't drinking my beer.

I worked the KC event for five sessions on Friday and Saturday as a steward....I know there were several cases (that I was aware of) where the beer didn't match what was expected, even as far off as a beer when it should have been a mead. I wonder if they had some issues receiving and labeling beers.

My international dark lager made it through. I assume I have to submit to the same category for the finals? This was actually brewed as a Schwarz but based on some earlier comp feedback and some help from some local BJCPs I submitted it as an international dark lager. I will need to rebrew so I could up the roast and darken the color and try to get it in the 8B category.

You have to enter the same subcategory..... so, it needs to be entered exactly the way you entered it in the regional. So, international dark lager if that is what you called it the first time.

I quickly learned that entering competitions provides little to no useful information due to its subjective nature. Now i just make what i like.

Went 0/4 in Chicago region. Czech Dark, Schwarzbier, Helles and American Light Lager. All four had done well in 3-4 comps over last month, each winning multiple medals, scoring in 40's or high 30's, so had high hopes, especially for the Schwarz which advanced to finals last year and scored in the 40's. Oh well, now to wait for scoresheets.

Follow up to my post, while I went 0/4 in Chicago, 3 of my beers did make it to Mini-BOS, so moral victory that at least they were in the running.

I know it is the nature of judges to be different but I would have expected a bit more style guideline awareness. Every one of my 3 entries was noted as "needing more hop aroma," including a Cream Ale......which according to guidelines "Hop aroma medium low to none, and can be of any variety although floral, spicy, or herbal notes are most common." Mine has a very slight floral aroma according to many.
A barleywine did make mini-BOS and I thought it might have too much aroma but again...needs more.
Oh well, I'm not getting a lot of help but I did get a lot of encouragement :yes: I always take these results with a nice homebrew.:bravo:

From my experience NHC is not a competition to enter for feedback. Although the score sheets were a much better format this year, you just don’t get the same level of written feedback as other competitions because of its massive size. If you are looking for feedback, enter the same beer in multiple smaller competitions and look for trends.

From my experience NHC is not a competition to enter for feedback. Although the score sheets were a much better format this year, you just don’t get the same level of written feedback as other competitions because of its massive size. If you are looking for feedback, enter the same beer in multiple smaller competitions and look for trends.

I have...for exactly the reason you say because past entries in NHC results have always left me wondering. waiting on those results

I know they said here would be a delay, but does anyone know when the competition site and instructions will be sent out for finals?

I still haven't received anything. I believe shipping starts June 11th so there is still time but it would be nice to know

Did you submit your inframous NEIPA recipe Brau?
Ha.... no..... I think I might be the only person to never submit it to a competition.... I should probably try it sometime :) Pretty much the other end of the spectrum when it comes to competitions for me - Dortmunder and British Dark Mild moving on. Pilsner and Kolsch fell a bit short.

Just got my final round results. Pilsner got a score of 40. I'm really curious to see where that ranks. One of the sheets said he wanted to give me a 45 but he had to compromise with the other judge and came down a little (at least that is what I think the note is saying).

Just got my final round results. Pilsner got a score of 40. I'm really curious to see where that ranks. One of the sheets said he wanted to give me a 45 but he had to compromise with the other judge and came down a little (at least that is what I think the note is saying).

The score "rank" is not always the best indicator as some judges score "high" or "low" compared to other judges. There were 36 entries in each category..... so, those were probably broken to 5-6 different judging tables and each table probably passed 1-2 beers on to go head to head for top 3. Your form should indicate in the upper right corner if the beer made "Mini BOS" If it did..... you can probably assume that you were in the top 10 beers or so.

Got a 38/39 on my Mild
Got a 40/42 on my Helles Export and it made mini BOS but did not place.

Thought both of them had a chance, but came up short. However, at least they were both in the ballpark of breaking through.

Last edited:
The score "rank" is not always the best indicator as some judges score "high" or "low" compared to other judges. There were 36 entries in each category..... so, those were probably broken to 5-6 different judging tables and each table probably passed 1-2 beers on to go head to head for top 3. Your form should indicate in the upper right corner if the beer made "Mini BOS" If it did..... you can probably assume that you were in the top 5-8 beers or so.

Got a 38/39 on my Mild
Got a 40/42 on my Helles Export and it made mini BOS but did not place.

Thought both of them had a chance, but came up short. However, at least they were both in the ballpark of breaking through.
Good info to know. It was marked as mini BOS.

And, actually, if you go to the competition/finals page - they now have your scores up and it is checked if it made mini BOS..... My Mild must have also made mini BOS as it is indicated on the web page, even though it was not marked on the score sheet. So, worth looking there for those getting there score sheet.... sometimes it is not marked on the sheet itself.

Back