NHC 2014 - Limit of 6 Entries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided to take the cards i was dealt and not enter. i raelly didn't like my chances of shipping my beers accross the country to washington state, since my last few shipments via ups had troubles. besides the extra shipping made it not worth it. i'll try again next year. i wish all who entered the best of luck. I will send out a few "Beer It Forward" packages in place of competing, and be happy to make someone else happy.

Good on you, man. Enter some local comps that you can hand deliver to and see how next year goes.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Home Brew mobile app

LOL @ AHA...I was reading about the Ninkasi award, with limited entries it is harder and harder to award so there are 6 tiebreakers, here's what's listed for the final tiebreaker, if needed...

The winner will be selected using a random selection method. A random method such as rock-paper-scissors, steel cage death match, or a coin flip will be applied at the discretion of the competition organizers to determine the winner.

LOL @ AHA...I was reading about the Ninkasi award, with limited entries it is harder and harder to award so there are 6 tiebreakers, here's what's listed for the final tiebreaker, if needed...

That was as of last year, when you were restricted to what was it, 15 entries? Still a reduction from the full scatter gun "every BJCP subcategory" strategy, but still far more than the 4 entries for this year. If they're using the same tiebreaker policy this year, they may well actually need it. Hah.

But at least they've got a sense of humor about it.

Anyone know if the AHA and judging site uses the information that we entered on the website or the hard copy that we send with our entries? I have an entry that needs information in the "Special Ingredient / Classic Style" block. I've been playing with different wording and base style and wasn't happy with my last edit. Figured I had time to change it, but went to do it today and the edit button is gone. I'm wondering if it would be alright to edit the sheet manually before printing it out?

Hmmmm? I successfully edited an entry last night . . . i was under the impression that you could edit up until the delivery date basically. Can't check mine right now, because of internet at work. If you are having trouble - I would contact AHA - they are very helpful and will get it straightened out for you.

I'm hoping that it will allow to potentially edit an entry on Saturday evening. I have a local competition with the four entries that I had planned to submit but I'm on the fence on one of them. If the scores are poor, I'm planning to swap it out with a Vienna Lager that's just about ready to be served.

All of my entries are able to be edited. I don't know the exact date, but I wouldn't see why they wouldn't allow edits up until the entries are due. Once they are at the drop off locations, they'll probably turn off editing.

That's strange. Just logged back on and the edit button is back. Earlier this morning it only had the print option.

Better do the edit now while I have the chance. :cross:

OK, it wasn't me. Asked and got this from AHA.

The edit capability was inadvertently disabled, but it should be available again now. Please be as succinct as possible in your description. Thanks for editing your entry.

Cheers,
Janis

Anyone know if the AHA and judging site uses the information that we entered on the website or the hard copy that we send with our entries? I have an entry that needs information in the "Special Ingredient / Classic Style" block. I've been playing with different wording and base style and wasn't happy with my last edit. Figured I had time to change it, but went to do it today and the edit button is gone. I'm wondering if it would be alright to edit the sheet manually before printing it out?

The judges have access to that information for those categories only.

Shipped my two entries to KC this evening by ups, no problems, no questions asked

Anyone having issues printing the competition sheet? I can only print labels, but not the beer information sheet.

Anyone having issues printing the competition sheet? I can only print labels, but not the beer information sheet.

It looks like it's only requiring you to print the labels. The info sheet isn't usually required for anything anyway. They have all the info in the application so no need for the paper sheet.

It looks like it's only requiring you to print the labels. The info sheet isn't usually required for anything anyway. They have all the info in the application so no need for the paper sheet.

This is my first time entering for NHC, so they don't want any info on the beer at all? I was only able to submit name and category via the website. I really don't want to screw this up.

This is my first time entering for NHC, so they don't want any info on the beer at all? I was only able to submit name and category via the website. I really don't want to screw this up.

Name of the beer and category for most beers. If it's one of the specialty categories they'll require you to give a description, but the software makes it a required field, so you can't complete the entry without giving them the correct info.

The only info they need is what will print out of the bottle tags. Cut it out and use a rubber band to attach it to the bottle and that's about it. They don't need recipe info or other specs on the beer - just your personal info, beer name and beer category. :mug:

Bottling tonight and shipping tomorrow. Nothing like waiting until the last minute when I had all weekend.

I won't bottle until Sunday night :) I still have to keg one beer.
Jealous! I have to ship today.

One of my entries is an American Wheat. Definitely a drink fresh beer. My plan was to rebrew it, but I'm East Coast and drew a West Coast site, NJ to WA. I have to send older bottles even though the new batch will be ready before the end of the week. :(

Guessing that you're driving your bottles over to Keystone? That was my first choice.

I'm bottling my last 2 beers this evening and shipping tomorrow. I could probably wait a couple days, but that would give me time to keep second guessing my entry choices and fretting over it. Hahaha! Good luck everyone!

Yep I got luckly!, I'm entering a session pale ale in specialty category, apa, and an ipa which will all benefit getting there fresh. I just hope it's not too fresh. I also have a wee heavy that still trying to clear so I hop this second round of gelatin fixes that.

I've also got an IPA that scored a 35 at WOTW's going to NHC. Biggest hit was harsh bitterness. (But "spot on" hop balance. Figure that one?) Wish I had time to rebrew that also.

Might have gone a little heavy on the Apollo, 60 minute hop addition. My only hope is that the West Coaster's will think that's a good thing. :D

just kegged my last of four. hopefuly can get it carbed up and in a bottle in time to drive it over to the first round site next weekend.

I've also got an IPA that scored a 35 at WOTW's going to NHC. Biggest hit was harsh bitterness. (But "spot on" hop balance. Figure that one?) Wish I had time to rebrew that also.

Might have gone a little heavy on the Apollo, 60 minute hop addition. My only hope is that the West Coaster's will think that's a good thing. :D

My IIPA got destroyed for being too hoppy in the WOTW (22) and scored a 39/37.5 out west.

The only thing I hate more than mini-BOS are those of you with local drop off for NHC. :eek:

I was half tempted to drive to San Diego this week.

I'm driving to NYC later this week. 4 hr drive each way. Of course it helps that my sister-in-law lives in Manhattan so we make a mini-vacation out of it.

My club is sending one guy with everyone's entries up to Philly where they all entered and got accepted. I ended up having to ship. So mine should be arriving at the Kansas City shipping point tomorrow, hopefully all intact.

I am going to bottle mine up tomorrow night. I just got my beergun today since the bottle conditioned ones aren't carbed up enough. Two day shipping to my location.

Three from Salt Lake City to Denver today. And we had some light snow this morning so they might even arrive chilled ;)

So I got up this morning and checked the local news and there was a report of a Fedex truck on fire a few miles outside of town (Parleys Canyon on I-80). Probably a bit selfish, but "my NHC entries !!!" ran through my head. I pulled up my tracking number and was glad to see my package was still at the sorting facility. I hope no good beers were lost.

I sent mine out yesterday while I was in Greensboro for work. Ground is two days to Nashville so it should arrive tomorrow by end of day. Last year, I felt great about my entries based on a couple local competitions only to be disappointed at the 1st round NHC in Atlanta. This year, I was disappointed with my entries based on a competition last weekend, and my expectations are sadly very low. Probably the first and only time I've shipped entries to a competition and not felt good about my chances. I did manage to swap out my Belgian specialty with a Vienna Lager, but it's a tad young. Hopefully they store the entries in a cold room before the competition starts.

I was disappointed with my entries based on a competition last weekend, and my expectations are sadly very low.
I'm in the same boat. Based on a local competition, I greatly overestimated the quality of what I planned to send to NHC. Those damn "ugly babies" scored in the low to mid 30's. I seriously considered not wasting the shipping expense, but ended up sending them. I don't believe that NHC is the place to go looking for additional feedback, so probably shouldn't have.

On a positive note, I was too cheap to spend the extra $25 bucks on two day shipping from NJ to WA. Went with 3-day instead. Surprisingly, they actually made it in two days.

Now if I only knew if the beer is still in the bottles. :cross:

I don't believe that NHC is the place to go looking for additional feedback, so probably shouldn't have.

Especially with the checklist scoring (or whatever it is called) in the first round this year.

Three outta four of mine I haven't even tasted yet. :eek:

Also sent 'em to a local comp but judging isn't until this weekend and results won't be out for a couple weeks.

They're all solid recipes I've made before, so I'm not too worried. Okay, I'm a little worried since I have no idea how they'll be handled for the next ~3 weeks...

I believe 1st through 3rd in each category with a minimum score of 30 and higher advance to the 2nd round. Since the each qualifying competition round has around 750 entries, it's going to be hard for a so-so entry to advance to the 2nd round. Hence, why I'm not so happy with my 2014 entries.

Our brewery is hosting the East Coast judging... say "hi" if any of you are dropping off your entries this week! - Rich (singlecutbeer.com)

Back