Next steps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tidwellc

Reaction score
Currently have my first ever cider batch fermenting in primary, so far no issues. But I was unsure of the next steps after it finishes, since I see so much conflicting information out there on this.

5 gallons of apple juice (store bought), Wyeast cider/mead yeast, no starter. I added one campden tablet per gallon to the must in a primary bucket, let it sit 24 hours with the lid on and no airlock. Pitched the yeast and some yeast nutrient and am currently holding it at 70 degrees until it ferments out.

When it finishes, I plan on racking it to a glass carboy and letting it sit until a few weeks before Thanksgiving and kegging it.

Assuming I haven't screwed anything up so far, do I need to do anything to it post fermentation? add more campden tablets or other additives before/in secondary? If I wanted to add any spices, just sanitize and add it to the secondary for a few weeks like I would a beer?

I'm no expert, made only a few batches with store bought juice myself so far. The following link is a good starting place. In short, sulfates can help prevent oxidation in secondary, I've seen some use, some don't and just ensure racking doesn't splash and headspace is minimal. I've not yet done a secondary myself. Cider for Beginners

5 gallons of apple juice (store bought), Wyeast cider/mead yeast, no starter. I added one campden tablet per gallon to the must in a primary bucket, let it sit 24 hours with the lid on and no airlock. Pitched the yeast and some yeast nutrient and am currently holding it at 70 degrees until it ferments out.
Pasturized store bought juice does not need campden tablets. There's nothing wild to kill. Pour juice into fermenting vessel and pitch yeast.

When it finishes, I plan on racking it to a glass carboy and letting it sit until a few weeks before Thanksgiving and kegging it.

Assuming I haven't screwed anything up so far, do I need to do anything to it post fermentation? add more campden tablets or other additives before/in secondary? If I wanted to add any spices, just sanitize and add it to the secondary for a few weeks like I would a beer?

Rack and reduce headspace as much as possible in the carboy. Let it clarify until your ready to keg and rack again.

No campden required. Your keg will handle any residual fermentation if you have residual sugar.

Spices, yes add to secondary similar to beer. Watch the amount of spices and time. Unlike beer, cider will pick them up pretty quickly.

Thanks for the advice! Sounds like I'm good to go. I'll probably forego the spice additions and just see how a straight cider turns out before playing with additional flavorings. Thanks again!

Back