newbie, wannabe self-reliant farmer, permie/fermie!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lifeisafarm

Reaction score
hi all -- long time lurker, many times user of the Hive Mind forum wisdom herein but wanted to give back

i also have a lot more in-depth questions!

i'm a brit, my and my lass are looking to escape the Rat Race to Spain in a couple of years, fix up some land and grow our own food, make our own beer etc!

was going to register on the british homebrew forum, but figured this was international anyway? or is it more US-focused? i'm bilingual, promise!

anyway, nice to be here -- look fwd to chinwagging

Welcome to the forum!

Beer and brewing is multinational, we all speak the same language. Now there are some "dialects" where a large group measures in gallons (of which there are 2 kinds) and pounds while others use liters and kilograms. With a conversion calculator, it's still easy to understand each other.

Regarding Spain. I haven't visited there in 25-some years, so things will undoubtedly have changed. Some Brit friends of mine retired early and moved to Spain in the 80's, Javier, Costa Blanca region, built a house, and simply loved living there. They only went back to visit, but most family and friends visited them instead.

Climate-wise Spain has something for everyone. From cool mountains to hot beaches and sweltering cities. Rain, and thus water, can be a precious commodity in many regions, so plan accordingly. Have an adequately sized reserve tank, as well as a few backups.

Now rat-race wise, I think the Spanish have developed their own flavors. For example, more than a few are maniacs when driving, especially in the larger cities. The rest is more laid back in general, so yes, it can be a nice escape.

Welcome to the forum!
Regarding Spain. I haven't visited there in 25-some years, so things will undoubtedly have changed. Some Brit friends of mine retired early and moved to Spain in the 80's, Javier, Costa Blanca region, built a house, and simply loved living there. They only went back to visit, but most family and friends visited them instead.

Climate-wise Spain has something for everyone. From cool mountains to hot beaches and sweltering cities. Rain, and thus water, can be a precious commodity in many regions, so plan accordingly. Have an adequately sized reserve tank, as well as a few backups.

No way – I spent a lot of time in Javea! I love the Med but I am looking for land with better soil generally, so thinking further north.

Definitely water can be an issue there, but if you can find a property with running water you're quids-in. I appreciate the heads up anyway, and nice tip about the reserve tank.

See, you guys are helpful already, and I didn't even ask a serious q yet!

Welcome aboard Mate!

There is still land available in Europe?......wow go figure....Its getting scare around here unless you want desert, and you have had hundreds of years head start.

Welcome aboard Mate!

There is still land available in Europe?......wow go figure....Its getting scare around here unless you want desert, and you have had hundreds of years head start.

Where are you based out of curiosity?

Back