newbie volume question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blindnil

Reaction score
Just joined. This site is incredible! Thanks for answering many questions before I asked them.
That said, I just brewed an AHBS Weihenstephaner hefe clone. The recipe called for a wort volume of 5 1/4 gal. I realized after fermentation started that I only had a volume of about 4-4 1/2 gallons. The initial was about 1.060. Recipe said it should have been 1.053. My question- should I add enough cool distilled/clean water to the secondary before I transfer? What are the potential effects of being a gallon short? Should I be concerned by this beyond the fact that I shorted myself a few pints on my first batch? Thanks! (I will be bottling this batch...don't know if that is also a factor)

A gallon short, you'll get stronger beer! :mug: You'll be short a few pints and you'll have something other than the recipe designers intended, but it will still be delicious, delicious beer. 1.060 is a higher than hefes tend to be, but that's not to say that it won't be tasty. Perhaps you'll have discovered a new style.

As far as adding water, I'll cast my vote for not doing it. It would probably be fine, but it might startle your yeasties. Considering there's no dramatic downside to leaving it as it is, I think that's the safer bet.

thanks for the quick answer and the peace of mind. I guess I'll end up with a stronger hefe. That will be o.k. by me. Cheers!

Sorry for another question regarding bottling of this batch- Should I reduce the amount of priming sugar due to the lost gallon?

Most of the priming calculators will let you input the volume of your batch, along with desired carbonation level and temperature. So yeah, with those you'll want to input 4gal or whatever you estimate it to be.

Latest posts

Back