Newbie regulator issue help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeICR

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm new to kegging, of course, and I'm having trouble with my regulator. I've got a very basic setup, one keg, one CO2 tank, single regulator. I just kegged my APA and I'm trying to force carb it. I hooked everything up, turned on the tank (about a quarter turn), and started turning the regulator up to 30psi.

Here's the trouble; there's a small hole next to the regulation screw that keeps leaking! The gauge rises about 5psi then that hole starts leaking CO2. I tighten the screw and the leak stops for the next 5psi before starting again. That cycle is endless. Is this normal? What am I doing wrong?

Nope. Sounds like the weep hole. It should not leak. Did you buy it new? If so, send it back and get another one. Used? You can pick up rebuild kits for certain brands.

I bought used equipment and had a dual Cornelius regs. Both leaked. I ended up getting a refurbished one. Now looking at getting two kits to rebuild and keep or sell them.

thanks for the advice! I bought it used and I've only used it a few times. It's a micro-matic. Having no experience with regulators I chalked the trouble up to inexperience. Should that hole ever leak? Is this a common problem?

thanks for the advice! I bought it used and I've only used it a few times. It's a micro-matic. Having no experience with regulators I chalked the trouble up to inexperience. Should that hole ever leak? Is this a common problem?

Mine leaked like that and I had to buy a repair kit (depending on your regulator, mine was below):

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=12270

Took 10 minutes to fix. Basically my issue was a worn down gasket.

Latest posts

Back