Newbie question about Bru'n Water and mash out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lhommedieu

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is probably a very simple question - but should the volume of water used to mash out be counted as part of the sparge water volume?

Best,

Steve

No.

(oops, missed the 'out' part of the 'mash out'. In that case I'd say yes. my bad.)

In my opinion, yes. The mash out water addition is typically a boiling water addition to raise the mash to the upper 160F range. Since the conversion is largely complete, the mash pH is less a concern. Considering that the mash out addition is just a component of the overall sparging additions is appropriate for that reason.

No. You add it before you start sparging so it's a mash addition. But you can simplify by just skipping mashout and sparging with hotter water.

Martin's explanation makes sense in terms of water treatment, but strictly speaking I disagree with his definition.

Thanks for your responses. Would you, then, treat the mash-volume differently then the mash-out volume (my water has very low alkalinity)?

Best,

Steve

Yes. You can see in Bru'n Water that no sodium bicarb is added to the sparge water. Also, you might want to acidify your sparge water.

Latest posts

Back