newbie kegging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allgrainpa

Reaction score
I have read that some suggest carbinating thru the out valve. In other words, some are pushing CO2 thru the dip tube allowing the gas to diffuse from the bottom up thru the keg. I read others are carbinating by just placing the CO2 in the out valve and filling the head space with CO2 and allowing the gas to diffuse thru their beer by this method. Any suggestions from the brew forum on which is the perferred method of carbinating their beer?

thanks in advance

I just do it through the CO2 in post. I've always been told that you don't really gain any extra diffusion going through the dip tube unless you use a diffusion stone.

Using the in port, I just pressurize the keg to seal it and then flip it upside down when carbing seltzer. You get bubbling and its easier to shake. You probably don't want to do that to beer though. I don't know how comfortable you would be leaving a keg upside down for a week. Also, I don't think the white QD can go on the out port either. Maybe someone that knows can confirm this.

Back