newbie hardware questions... resurecting an old Superior

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tedzap

Reaction score
Newbie here. Used to brew WAY back in college, and have been thinking about getting back into it. Was always impressed with the aphrodisiacal qualities of mead, but that is a different story.

Have been pretty close to "pulling trigger" on a BM23, but keep spending my money on pool cues.

This morning I jumped in and purchased this superior version of the BevAir BeerMeister this morning. It is old, and unlike most stuff I try to buy it will not outlast me. However, it does get cold, and it doesn't look *that* bad.

Yes, it uses R12, refrigerant, but did I say that it gets mighty cold and it also came with a full 20# aluminum CO2 bottle? Also, I have about 100# of R12 in my garage, and none of my cars take it any more?

The unit doesn't have any lines or taps (just as well?), and the tower is pretty dismal looking... missing the top cap and having a big split running down from the top to the joint.

Seems to me that I am in nearly the same boat I would be in if I bought the new BM23. So what I need is the standard hardware kit, but one that includes a good tower/faucets. Basically a kit to convert a dorm fridge.

Here is the question (finally), can anyone point me to a good "Deluxe" kit that includes a tower? Eventually I will end up with a new BM23 or possibly a TDD1, so i am looking for good quality stuff. I want the Perlick taps, but what kind of regulator do I want? Is there any difference between taps?

The beer I am going to start with (possibly stay with) is Red Seal Ale. It takes a standard D tap. I want a second head to dispense home brews, be they beer or mead.

Finally, there is a neat looking "pressurized cleaning kit" that costs around $100 and looks like a little keg that you fill with soap. Good tool?

Thanks, and please pardon my Sierra Nevada infused ramblings.

-Ted

Lines are cheap .50 cents a foot. R12 is like gold, save it for when you have to charge the bm23..also these units are tanks, built to last so if anything if you have to get a tower get a two or three tap tower and convert it to a multi keg unit.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

Back