Newb again...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony579

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all. I brewed for several years while living on the east coast, but intervening children and a few undrinkable batches contaminated with god knows what have sidelined me until recently. I have Northern Brewer's Brickwarmer in my primary now. I am getting funny whiffs from the airlock now. Could someone please tell me it's just the orange peel?! Please.

When you say "funny whiffs", what exactly does that mean? 99.9% probability it's just fine. Do you have a pic to post?

I would not pay any attention to any off smells if it has only been a few days. Especially for a winter warmer type brew. Off smells occur often depending on what type of yeast and ingredients is used. Now if you are getting near racking to secondary or bottling time then you will need to worry in my opinion.

No pics at this time, looks ok, nice tan yeast cake on top and reached high krausen within 24 hours using Safale 04. Past experience has me a bit nervous.

I wouldn't stress too much. S-04 can produce some funky smells during high ferment, particularly if it's at slightly warmer temps. If the yeast are doing their orgy-thing in there, the chances that a bacteria is active are pretty slim. When you need to be careful is before fermentation gets underway and once it's complete. I'm sure you're just fine.

J

As far as the off smells, they could be my imagination. There has been a strong plasticky phenolic in the last 2 or 3 batches I brewed. I assume these came from either infection or chlorophenols. I switched from iodophor to star san and used Campden tabs in the water. Fingers crossed that its just paranoia.

Back