New years eve menu and pairings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niquejim

Burrowing Owl Brewery
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For NYE I'm doing a tasting menu paired with beer and wine for each course. My FIL is taking care of the wine, so I just wanted to get some feedback on my choices for the beers. These guests will not be beer geeks like myself

The menu is

First: Tuna sashimi with daikon radish, cucumber, fresh grated ginger and a soy dipping sauce. Beer---Hefe

Second: Pan seared scallops with bacon puree and brussel spouts. Beer---best bitter

Third: Grilled mango and prosciutto with herb ricotta and mango coulis Beer---German or Bohemian Pilsner

Fourth: Pineapple polenta and shrimp with pineapple habanero sauce. Beer--- Beligian Blonde

Fifth: Grilled lamb (ground lamb) skewers with cucumber mint coucous and cucumber yogurt dipping sauce. Beer---Flanders Red

Sixth: Cheeses ( types yet to be decided). Beer---Porter or Scotch Ale depending on the cheeses

Seventh: Roasted whole beef tenderloin and bearnaise sauce with mushroom risotto. Beer--- American Pale Ale

Eight: Crème brulee with fruit. Beer---Chocolate , Mocha or Coffee stout

Sounds delicious (especially the first one, LOVE tuna!)...what time should I be over with SWMBO? :)

We always have SWMBO's family over for NYE and do up about 10lbs of King Crab Legs.

First: Tuna sashimi with daikon radish, cucumber, fresh grated ginger and a soy dipping sauce. Beer---Hefe

Fourth: Pineapple polenta and shrimp with pineapple habanero sauce. Beer--- Beligian Blonde

I'd almost prefer switching the hefe and the belgian blonde. Fruit and spice notes would be great here (my favorite match for sushi and sashimi is a dry Riesling).
Second: Pan seared scallops with bacon puree and brussel spouts. Beer---best bitter

Very earth meets sea. Sounds delicious. Another option here would be a good pale.

Third: Grilled mango and prosciutto with herb ricotta and mango coulis Beer---German or Bohemian Pilsner

Good choice. Cut the rich and sweet with crisp and bitter.

Fifth: Grilled lamb (ground lamb) skewers with cucumber mint coucous and cucumber yogurt dipping sauce. Beer---Flanders Red

This whole course sounds amazing.
Sixth: Cheeses ( types yet to be decided). Beer---Porter or Scotch Ale depending on the cheeses

This will most likely be the toughest match on the menu, and it all depends on the cheeses. I love me some Rogue Creamery smoked blue with a good barleywine. If that's a little too extreme for your guests, try the scotch ale or a bock with cave cheeses like gruyere or swiss, a brown porter or dry stout with chedder, or a hefe with goat cheese.
Seventh: Roasted whole beef tenderloin and bearnaise sauce with mushroom risotto. Beer--- American Pale Ale
Sounds awesome.

Once again, awesome.

Good luck with the dinner!

I don't think I'd put the Hefe with the delicateness of the sashimi. The clove/banana might be overpowering, in my opinion.

I would also consider something maybe more astute with the beef, say a Dubbel or Dark Strong. Possibly a Dopplebock.

Everything else looks downright awesome. Scotch Ale with Cheese is money!

I've already changed my mind on the Hefe and I'm thinking about replacing that with a Wit.
Also may go with a Brown Ale like Hobgoblin with the tenderloin

My hope is that the cheeses I can find will match well with a Scotch Ale

Agree on the wit, would also consider something with an even stronger hop presence depending on the heat of the habanero sauce for that dish. If the cheese is a roquefort, it would be a disservice not to pair with barley wine.

Is this a beer/wine stand off for each course? Looks fantastic.

For NYE I'm doing a tasting menu paired with beer and wine for each course. My FIL is taking care of the wine, so I just wanted to get some feedback on my choices for the beers. These guests will not be beer geeks like myself

The menu is

uh hmmm! :D

I've forgotten to update the menu and beer pairings

1st Still the tuna...Beer- Hoegarden

2nd Scallops on a bacon/onion/mushroom stuffed and roasted mini bell pepper and fried mushrooms...Beer- Fullers London Pride

3rd Sill the same...Beer- Pilsner Urquell

4th Still the same...Beer- La Fin du Monde

5th Still the same...Beer- Duchesse de Bourgogne

6th Roasted Japanese Kobe tenderloins with Bearnaise and black truffle topped mushroom risotto...Beer- Hobgoblin

7th 3 year aged Blue Stilton, 2 year aged French Comte, 3 year aged Australian White cheddar and 3 year aged Parmesan with a lite drizzle of maple syrup...Beer- Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter

8th Creme brulee in a sugar cookie shell over a mixed berry compote... Coffee instead of beer

I still do not know the wine pairings except that for the cheese course we have a 1932 vintage Port.:D The beer will have a hard time competing against that ;)

HOLY FREAKING CRAP! Can I please come eat just this course? Beautiful choice on the pairing IMO.

If I were you, I'd be highly tempted to skip the beer altogether on the Cheese course with the Port; however, that would be conceeding a victory to the wine world and we can't have that!

this is the final list

First: Tuna sashimi with daikon radish, fresh grated ginger and a soy dipping sauce. Beer---Unibroue-Blanche de Chambly

Second: Pan seared scallops on a bacon/mushroom/onion stuffed mini bell pepper and fried mushrooms. Beer---Fuller's- London Pride

Third: Grilled mango and crispy baked prosciutto with herb ricotta and mango coulis. Beer---Weihenstephaner- Original

Fourth: Parmesan polenta and shrimp with pineapple habanero sauce. Beer--- Unibroue- La Fin du Monde

Fifth: Seasoned ground lamb skewers with cucumber mint couscous and cucumber yogurt dipping sauce. Beer---Brouwerij Verhaeghe- Duchesse de Bourgogne

Sixth: Wagyu beef tenderloin with porcini/portabella mushroom risotto. Beer---Wychwood's- Hobgoblin

Seventh: 3 Year aged Blue Stilton, 2 year aged French Comte, 3 year aged Australian white cheddar, some curry cashews and 3 year aged Parmesan with a drizzle of maple syrup. Beer--- Flying Dog- Gonzo Imperial Porter

Eighth: Crème Brule in a sugar cookie tartlets on a bed of mixed berry compote. Beer--- Rogue- Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout

Fourth: Parmesan polenta and shrimp with pineapple habanero sauce. Beer--- Unibroue- La Fin du Monde

Are you sure La Fin du Monde is going to stand up to those strong flavors? I agree that the flavor itself is a good pairing, just not sure if it is going to come through.

Latest posts

Back