New white labs container

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i4ourgot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I went away for six months come back and white labs looks different. it says no need for a yeast starter should I still make one?

Bit of a vague question. Im assuming youre talking about the pure pitch packets? The pure pitch packets have a CO2 permeable lining on the inside which keeps the yeast healthier longer due to less pressure than they had in the vials. Therefore you get more healthy cells when theyre fresh.

What is your OG gonna be? What yeast are you using? I know with the WLP001 it says no starter up to 1.070. I brewed a 1.068 beer a month ago with no starter and the FG ended at 1.011 and was a nice healthy fermentation. All in all, the new packets are awesome

I always make starters but that's because I harvest yeast every time. If were to just use a vial (but I won't because they're way overpriced) I wouldn't use a starter.

Latest posts

Back