New Vendor....Stuck Sparges

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmashl

Reaction score
I recently switched to a new brew ingredient supplier. Great service, but this guy crushes the grain too fine, I think. I have never had stuck sparges until ordering from this place. This new place is saving about $8-10 a batch, but the headache of the stuck sparges is making think of going back. I have seen people say they add rice hulls. Would this be something I should try before switching back and spending more on my ingredients?

I recently switched to a new brew ingredient supplier. Great service, but this guy crushes the grain too fine, I think. I have never had stuck sparges until ordering from this place. This new place is saving about $8-10 a batch, but the headache of the stuck sparges is making think of going back. I have seen people say they add rice hulls. Would this be something I should try before switching back and spending more on my ingredients?

When talking about adding rice hulls to prevent stuck sparges they're discussing thicker mashes due to things like wheat, flaked rye, flaked oats etc. that produce a thicker extract. First and foremost, what sort of equipment are you using? Some equipment is more prone to stuck sparges than others. Also, have you tried asking the vendor to crush the grain a little less finely or looked into getting your own mill and milling the grain yourself? Most vendors are more than happy to not mill your grain for you (less work for them).

How are the brews turning out besides the trouble sparging. Any increase in efficiency? If better, use rice hulls and save the $$

Or, buy a mill and crush your own.

If everything else about the recipe is the same except for the milled grain supplier then they are likely grinding too fine! Rice hulls probably wont help if the grain is being turned into flour.

yeah I have made these recipes before. I am using a SS braid to filter. Grain is real powdery. Efficiency is about the same. I'll have to email the guy and ask him to set the mill different for me or I'll go back to my old vendor.

If your grains are crushed as fine as you say you can expect noticeable astringency since the husks have been pulverized as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If your grains are crushed as fine as you say you can expect noticeable astringency since the husks have been pulverized as well.

Nope. Astringency comes from tannin extraction which depends on a high pH and high temperatures. As long as you keep the pH where it should be (under 6.0) you can grind the husks quite fine.

I disagree. Milling (crushing) has two key objectives, particle size reduction & particle size control. Roller mills are beat suited because they are better at leaving the malt husk as intact as possible (assuming the roller gap is properly set). An intact, unshredded husk not only aids in wort separation when you lauter but reduces the extraction of tannins and other unwanted compounds that occurs when the hulls are shredded.

Nope. Astringency comes from tannin extraction which depends on a high pH and high temperatures. As long as you keep the pH where it should be (under 6.0) you can grind the husks quite fine.

+1

Tannin extraction is a function of pH. BIAB brewers typically mill their grain very fine and don't have a tannins problem as long as wort pH is maintained in the target area.

+2

i have a corona mill which pretty much makes everything very fine, kinda powder like and i haven't noticed anything astringent ever.
i've also done batches where i've had the LHBS mill it for me there, same thing, no astringent tastes.

I'd either ask him to mill it looser... rice hulls would help quite a bit, even a 1/2 pound in each batch (that'd add like .50 cents?) I had an issue with my braid in my mash tun and milling fine with my corona. once i went to a false bottom i was fine.

I have started using a bag ment for brew-in-a - bag to line my 5 gal cooler mash tun and if I start to get slow runnings I just lift the bag a little and it all runs smoothly again.

I have started using a bag ment for brew-in-a - bag to line my 5 gal cooler mash tun and if I start to get slow runnings I just lift the bag a little and it all runs smoothly again.

I've done similar using a big cheese cloth. It makes cleaning it a hell of a lot easier! The first time I used my cool box mash tun it took me ages to get all the grains out whereas now I can just pull it all out

Latest posts

Back