New to Liquid Yeast - Is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradingbull

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recently tried my first liquid yeast attempt. Used White Labs WLP001 in a simple extract/steeping grains 1.045 OG blonde ale. Used my new stir plate toy to make a one step starter 24 hours before pitch.

Pitched at about 62F wort, maintained at 65-66F for a few days with vigorous fermentation, then allowed it to warm to 72F for 2-3 days, now sitting at around 69F. No airlock activity (I know it is not a true indicator) for over a week.

It has been 2 weeks, and the krausen is still a good 2 inches high. I have only used dry yeast before and am used to the krausen falling in by now. I know from the stains on the bucket the krausen is slowly dropping. Just curious, is the lingering krausen typical of all liquid yeasts? If I drop the temp on the beer a few more degrees will it fall in faster?

Recently tried my first liquid yeast attempt. Used White Labs WLP001 in a simple extract/steeping grains 1.045 OG blonde ale. Used my new stir plate toy to make a one step starter 24 hours before pitch.

Pitched at about 62F wort, maintained at 65-66F for a few days with vigorous fermentation, then allowed it to warm to 72F for 2-3 days, now sitting at around 69F. No airlock activity (I know it is not a true indicator) for over a week.

It has been 2 weeks, and the krausen is still a good 2 inches high. I have only used dry yeast before and am used to the krausen falling in by now. I know from the stains on the bucket the krausen is slowly dropping. Just curious, is the lingering krausen typical of all liquid yeasts? If I drop the temp on the beer a few more degrees will it fall in faster?

In my experience, that is atypical especially with that yeast. That being said, that alone isn't something to worry about. Patience is your friend. Have you taken any gravity readings? That is the only proven way to judge fermentation, everything "visual" are just indicators.

Hope that helps,
Cheers!

It's not uncommon and certainly not a sign of anything bad. Some yeasts are more prone than others to especially tenacious krausen. I find that Kolsch yeasts strains are particularly stubborn.

Have you taken any gravity readings? That is the only proven way to judge fermentation, everything "visual" are just indicators.

+1. A gravity reading or two will tell you what you want to know.

+1. A gravity reading or two will tell you what you want to know.

Thanks. I popped the lid again today for a reading, 1.011, right on target. Also, the remaining krausen had virtually all fallen in. I guess the jostling of the bucket broke it loose. Will leave it another week or two then bottle. Looking forward to trying my first liquid yeast beer.

Latest posts

Back