new to kegs, problem with foam and pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

studio1one

Reaction score
OK so its like this.

I have my beer sat at 11 PSI, its been there for 10 days

keg is in the fridge, all beer lines are in the fridge, everything is icy cold.

I have the correct diameter of tubing, about 6ft of it going into the tap drilled into the door of my kegerator

However, my beer comes out too fast and too hard and I end up with a glass of beer that looks like it has been hand pulled with a hand pump, not clear beer with a small head out of a keg.

What the hell could be the problem? I have done everything right as far as I can tell

thanks in advance for any help provided.

Try longer beer tubing. 10 feet at least. I switched from 6 feet to 12 feet and no more foamy pours. There is a calculator somewhere on here that explains resistance based on length of hose, but 10 feet should be plenty.

heres the thing. At the pressure and temp the calculator reckons I need 5ft

What those calcs say and what works in real life aren't the same sometimes.

What you described means that you need to slow your beer down. Get 12ft of 3/16" beer line. Let it get cold after installing it. See the difference.

BTW, you probably already know this, but it's worthy of mention. Treat the faucet like an on-off switch. A partially opened tap will create plenty of foam even if all else is good.

heres the thing. At the pressure and temp the calculator reckons I need 5ft

98.7% of the alleged "beer line length calculators" are utterly wrong in their method and thus their conclusions. It all starts with the myth that 3/16" ID tubing is (1) always the same resistance per foot, and (2) that resistance is somewhere around 2-3 psi per foot.

Neither is correct.

There is one calculator that gets it right. Go here and be enlightened.

Cheers!

It's been mentioned in this section literally 900 times. Use 10ft+ of beverage line and your problems magically go away. There's 901.

hmmm....

now running 12ft of 3/16 thick walled cable at 11PSI.

Still coming out too fast. Getting a bit lost now. Thanks for all advice so far

hmmm....

now running 12ft of 3/16 thick walled cable at 11PSI.

Still coming out too fast. Getting a bit lost now. Thanks for all advice so far

Turn off gas to that keg and try pouring again. It may be that your reg gauge is off. If it still flows fast after a few pours (all with gas off), it likely got over-carbed.

Another possibility is that your faucet/tap is not opening all the way. A partially open tap can cause foaming troubles.

So yeah, just to follow up on this.

Some utter numb nuts can't read the difference between bar and PSI on a regulator

:smack:

Back