New to Kegging annnddd... (NewB Questions)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First post as a HBT member, from Grimsby Ontario in Canada!

Been brewing for about 2 years now and have spent some serious time lurking the forums. I must say, the information on this website is fantastic and has really helped up my brewing game from cheap kits to delicious all-grain beer!

Anyway, I recently decided to make the leap into kegging, and purchased two used 5 gallon ball-lock cornys, one 5lb CO2 tank with a regulator and a couple of random accessories (all used stuff off of Kijiji).

Yesterday I had the CO2 tank with regulator attached sitting on the floor when a family member walked by and knocked the whole assembly over. It wasn't a terribly hard fall but is it likely that my dual gauge regulator is all out of whack? Is there any way to check the accuracy? Don't worry about it?

Also, when I attached the quick disconnect from my picnic tap onto the "out" side, on both kegs, gas from the pressurized kegs was blowing out right at the disconnect. Would this suggest my disconnect piece is shot as it happened with both kegs? Both kegs were nicely holding about 15 PSI when I purchased them...

Any help would be very much appreciated!

"Also, when I attached the quick disconnect from my picnic tap onto the "out" side, on both kegs, gas from the pressurized kegs was blowing out right at the disconnect. Would this suggest my disconnect piece is shot as it happened with both kegs? Both kegs were nicely holding about 15 PSI when I purchased them..."

If I am reading this right.... BEER should be coming out, not gas. I may be wrong, but check to see if you are on the correct posts. I don't know if this could happen..but, are the gas in tube and liquid out tube in the right locations? Or is the liquid pickup tube not their.
I am new to this also and just thinking out loud.......:D

Thanks for the quick reply jwelch. I had just moved the tank into the house and had not placed it by my fridge yet. I will be sure to strap it down.

As far as the other issue goes, essentially when I attach the ball lock beverage disconnect from my picnic tap onto the "beer out" ball lock post, gas starts leaking out right where the disconnect hooks onto the post. This happened on both kegs I bought. What could be going on that would cause the quick disconnect on my picnic tap assembly to spew gas like that?

@BrooklynTom there was no beer or liquid of any sort in the kegs. I just hooked the picnic tap up to the "out" posts when I brought my new purchases home to satisfy my curiosity...

I would assume that no beer OR gas should be coming out since the keg was empty...Is it possible there is a bad seal inside the QD?

Thanks for the quick reply jwelch. I had just moved the tank into the house and had not placed it by my fridge yet. I will be sure to strap it down.

As far as the other issue goes, essentially when I attach the ball lock beverage disconnect from my picnic tap onto the "beer out" ball lock post, gas starts leaking out right where the disconnect hooks onto the post. This happened on both kegs I bought. What could be going on that would cause the quick disconnect on my picnic tap assembly to spew gas like that?

First thing to do about that leak is change the O-rings on the posts, especially being that the kegs are used. O-rings are dirt cheap and if that doesn't solve it, replace the QD I guess.

Good luck!

Are you pushing the QD down far enough onto the post to get it to seat properly? You should hear and feel a little click when it gets seated onto the post. And you should not be able to pull it off without disengaging it.

I'm assuming the keg was pressurized when you did that.

I pushed it down all the way yes. I did notice that the bearings inside the QD were very stiff from lack of use. I actually had to lube them up to push the QD on the post without having to strain myself. Perhaps just an old QD that needs replacing?

Yesterday I had the CO2 tank with regulator attached sitting on the floor when a family member walked by and knocked the whole assembly over. It wasn't a terribly hard fall but is it likely that my dual gauge regulator is all out of whack? Is there any way to check the accuracy? Don't worry about it?

I don't know of any way to calibrate the regulator gauges. However, you should be aware that the gauge that allegedly tells you how much CO2 is in your tank is worthless. It will show that you have gas (it will show green) right up until it is empty, then it will go to red. In other words it only shows gas or no gas, it doesn't really tell you how full or low the tank is.

Latest posts

Back