New to cider - looking to improve my batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScoobyDude

Reaction score
12 days ago I pitched a packet of champagne yeast into 4 gallons of organic pasteurized 100% apple juice (to which I added a lb. of cane sugar and handful of brown sugar, boiled in water first, to boost abv). OG was 1.064. gravity read tonight was 1.002. I've read cider finishes lower than that so I'll check it in a couple days again.

All in all, it tastes like fermented apples. Not bad. Not great. I don't have a full grasp of cider tasting terminology, but it wasn't all that sweet, but not perfectly dry. Not all that tart either. And in a way kind of musky.....like fermented apples. Maybe it needs an acid addition I dont know?? When would I know to use that? does the acid contribute to tartness?

Anyway I have the 4 individual gallon jugs the juice came in, that I was planning to secondary the cider in these. This allows me to experiment with back sweeting, which I don't know exactly how to go about, but don't want to use lactose or xylitol.

Suggestions on how to improve the taste of this cider??

I'm new to cider as well but from what I have read you can back sweeten with apple juice concentrate to make it sweeter. You can then follow the stove top pasteurization instructions that is a sticky in the cider forum to kill any yeast. You could also use potassium sorbet and campden tablets to limit new yeast production. If you want a still cider pasteurize right away or use the potassium sorbet and campden tablets. If you want a sparkling cider check the carbonation each day by opening a bottle. When it is to your liking pasteurize it.

DO NOT pasteurize if the bottles are over carbonated. If your bottles are over carbonated you will know, they will start gushing foam when you open them. If this happens you will have to slowly (slowly, like it may take a few hours) release pressure by slowly opening them. Then you can recap them and pasteurize as planed.

And yes, pasteurization can be dangerous if you do it incorrectly but if you follow the instructions listed in in the sticky you will have no problems. There is also a way to pasteurize in the dishwasher by putting the bottles in and setting the dishwasher to sanitize. I, however, have not used this method as I do not own a dishwasher. I have used the stove top method and it has worked with no problems.

Hope this helps and good luck.

I've never heard of anyone else on this forum describe a musky/musty smell except myself. I thought maybe I was just imagining it. I only get these musky/musty aroma and flavors when I use white cane sugar to boost ABV. It still might be all in my mind, but I don't get it when I omit the white stuff.

You might try a one gallon batch of straight juice with no sugar as a baseline to see if the smell is still there. I'd be very interested to hear your results.

As for complexity, there's a myriad of ways you can improve it. The addition of some acid blend or tannins might be a way to achieve this or it could be as simple as just the addition of some raisins, black tea or even a shot of lemon juice. Thats the beauty of home brewing, you can experiment a lot and find a method that works best for you. I personally add raisins for nutrient and hopefully some tannin. My ciders aren't overly complex, but by using an ale yeast, I've found that it retains a nice apple flavor. When carbonated, it's dry and refreshing with a hint of residual sweetness. (force carb'd and cold crashed at around 1.002) It's always a crowd pleaser and it's a nice change from beer on tap.

+1 on giving it time. Twelve days is nothing. I usually wait a minimum of three months before drinking ciders made from ale or cider yeast and preferably wait five months. With apfelwein, it's minimum of six months, but should wait nine to 12.

The key is getting a bunch of cider fermenting right now so that you have some around to drink in a month or two while the rest slowly ages. Then just keep the pipeline filled.

Also, try experimenting with a small - and I mean small - amount of wine tannin and malic acid. I add ~1 teaspoon wine tannin and ~1 tablespoon (maybe a touch more) of malic acid to 5.5 gallons of the apple juice. It gives the final product a bit of mouthfeel and tartness missing from regular apple juice.

Also, try different yeasts. There a ton discussion on the various yeasts available, but in the end, the only way to really know for yourself is to try them.

Finally, if possible, trying fermenting at ~60 degrees. I find that the lower temperature helps smooth the flavor.

Thanks. Do you backsweeten at all?

I'll have to search out some wine tannin and malic acid... I would definitely like to brighten it up with some tartness.

Latest posts

Back