New to Brew. 1st Recipe Trial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossypete

Reaction score
I wanted to put this out there and see what some of you seasoned vets think about my recipe... just from the sound. Am I buying anything for no reason? I call it... the IPA and a Half. The ingredients are listed... Comments are appreciated! Let me know if you would do anything to change it up!

7lbs - Briess Sparkling Amber Liquid Extract
1.5lbs - Cara Rye
1lb - Briess 2 Row Caramel 60

2oz Cascade @ 30mins
3oz Centennial @15mins

1 packet US-05 SAFALE American Ale

Also. Cascade at 15 mins... what does that mean?

OG - 1.065 FG - 1.016 IBU - 60.8 SRM - 20.55 ABV - 6.42

Thanks guys. I'M A NEWB!

rossypete said:
I wanted to put this out there and see what some of you seasoned vets think about my recipe... just from the sound. Am I buying anything for no reason? I call it... the IPA and a Half. The ingredients are listed... Comments are appreciated! Let me know if you would do anything to change it up!

7lbs - Briess Sparkling Amber Liquid Extract
1.5lbs - Cara Rye
1lb - Briess 2 Row Caramel 60

2oz Cascade @ 30mins
3oz Centennial @15mins

1 packet US-05 SAFALE American Ale

Also. Cascade at 15 mins... what does that mean?

OG - 1.065 FG - 1.016 IBU - 60.8 SRM - 20.55 ABV - 6.42

Thanks guys. I'M A NEWB!

You will wind up with a pretty sweet tasting beer.

I would switch to light extract and derive the color and flavors from the steeping grains. The crystal type malts should be only 5-10. % IMO

What are you shooting for? Have you looked through the recipe wiki-great place to see how others have achieved what you are trying to brew:)

Duboman... do you mean that the beer will be good! or sweet as in sugar sweet?

So Crystal Malts at 5-10% in your opinion... What do I need to change? Just the Sparkling Amber to the light?

Thanks so much for your help.

Changed it to light...

OG FG IBU SRM ABV
1.073 1.018 56.5 15.66 7.20

Took the ABV up considerably... still need to know what the minutes on the hops... 15 mins = adding at the last 15 minutes? or what?

Probably a stupid question but I appreciate all the help!

I also changed it when I moved to the light from 7lbs to 6lbs.... this ok?

6 would be fine I think. You still may want to lower your specialty malts, maybe keep it around 1-1.25 lbs total. I would probably do a half pound each

Changed it to light...

OG FG IBU SRM ABV
1.073 1.018 56.5 15.66 7.20

Took the ABV up considerably... still need to know what the minutes on4 the hops... 15 mins = adding at the last 15 minutes? or what?

Probably a stupid question but I appreciate all the help!

Yes, addition(s) are almost always listed in the 'add this with X amount of time left'. So if you are doing a 60 minute boil, you would add that hop charge at 45 minutes in; 15 minutes left in the boil.
(That threw me on my first few batches too.)

You might also consider doing a 'late extract addition' where you add no more than 1/2 your extract at the start of your boil; and the remainder with 10 to 15 minutes left in the boil. This will help prevent the malt extract from darkening. I know it makes a noticeable difference in my LME brews ; not sure how much it would help in a DME recipe.

You might also consider doing a 'late extract addition' where you add no more than 1/2 your extract at the start of your boil; and the remainder with 10 to 15 minutes left in the boil. This will help prevent the malt extract from darkening. I know it makes a noticeable difference in my LME brews ; not sure how much it would help in a DME recipe.

I believe this also helps with a more efficient hop utilization, which would obviously be a good thing in an American IPA.

Back