New to All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozpt

Reaction score
Hello,

I want to make my first All Grain batch and also make my own recipe.
Does this wheat recipe look ok?

For 20 Litres:
2,90 kg Wheat Malt, Ger
1,60 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Bel
100gr Rice Hulls
1,0 pkg Wyeast Labs #3068 125ml
20gr Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4,00 %] - 60 min
15gr Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4,00 %] - 20 min

Mash for 60min. Then boil for another 60min with 60min and 20min hop addition.

Thanks,
Oz

For you English types I converted it for you.

6.3 lbs wheat
3.5 lbs pilsner
.2 lbs rice hulls
.75 oz hallertauer -60
.5 oz hallertauer -20

It sounds good to me. The one thing I will say is since wheat may cause a stuck sparge you may want to up the rice hulls. Depending on your mash tun 100g may be enough, but since this is your first time using it error on the side of caution. It won't effect the profile or flavor of your beer.

Two handfuls is plenty, although if you do a slow lauter you should be fine regardless of rice hulls. More can't hurt, go for it. Throw in bottom of your mash tun and grain on top. Try to avoid stirring hulls upwards.

As for recipe it looks good. Looks like EdWorts.

Recipe looks fine. You'll want to do a 90 min boil since there is Pilsner malt in the recipe. This is because Pils contains more DMS precursers and the longer boil will help to drive them off.

Recipe looks fine. You'll want to do a 90 min boil since there is Pilsner malt in the recipe. This is because Pils contains more DMS precursers and the longer boil will help to drive them off.

If you take LLBeanJ's advice, make sure to compensate by adding a little more water given the longer boil.

Thanks guys for the replies.
Regarding the 90 min boil, should I change the time of the hop addition?

Latest posts

Back