New to AG: Is this cheap cooler worth getting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiquidFlame

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First let me say sorry for posting this without really doing much research, but this sell ends soon. Menards has a sell on their 5 gallon cylinder type water coolers for $9.99 after rebate and I was trying to find out if I should get two of them (http://www.menards.com/main/outdoor/camping-hunting/5-gallon-menards-cooler/p-1705936-c-9474.htm).

Now, I've been doing extract brewing, but I want to get into all grain brewing and I'm currently reading up on it, but I don't really know much about it.

What I do know is
• I want to start small with 3 gallon batches.
• The largest I want to brew is 5 gallons.
• I don't want to be limited to the type of beer I want to brew.
• Liked to keep things cheap at first to see how I like doing all grain.

So with that, should I go pick up one or two of these coolers?

Thanks.

Personally I wold go with a 10 gallon one. I got mine at Home Depot for something like $20. I use it for 10 gallon batches and it all fit in. It was no problem with the 5 gallon batches. That way if you decide to brew a bigger batch you will already have the equipment. Only thing I would recommend with either purchase, is using spray foam to fill the lid. I was loosing 10 degrees in 60 mins before I did. Now I loose maybe 2.

I have a Home Depot version of that 5 gal cooler that I use for my HLT. If you only want to start with small batches this would work fine and is easily convertible to a MLT. Go for it!

I also started with a 5 gal cooler of the same kind and converted it to a mash tun. Did a few batches with it and it worked fine. The one down-side is that there wasn't enough room to do a mash out, so I ended up buying the same 52 quart Coleman Extreme that Malticulous referred to. The 52 quart one works awesome! I then just started using the 5 gal cooler as my HLT.

So if you're just getting into all grain I'd say go for it because if you find you want to upgrade to a bigger cooler later you can always repurpose this one.

Malticulous said:
I think even 10 is too small. My Coleman extreme 52 is perfect. With five you wont make any strong beers. For three gallons of regular gravity I just use a paint strainer.

You can always spike the brew with dme to increase gravity if you want to make a big beer with a small cooler.

But, I agree. Go for a 48qt or bigger if you can find it cheap.

I use a 5 gallon because I had it collecting dust for years. As stated, mashout is tough. Double sparging puts me at the very top. 5 works, but 10 is better. For $9, it might be a good way to see if you like all grain. Go cheap with a house through a rubber stopper instead of a ball valve. You'll be all grain for under $20 including manifold.

The first time you overflow it ,you'll know it's to small,
(ask me how i know)
10 gal minimum

Save your money. I use a 6.5 gallon bucket wrapped in a blanket. Not the prettiest thing but if works great and it is low cost.

Wrestled with this question myself a couple of months ago. Finally bought a 52 or 54 qt Coleman marine cooler and I love it, plenty of room for 10-12 lbs of grain + water with lots of room to stir, holds mash temps very well (loses 2 deg in an hour). If I move to 10 gal batches I don't have to upgrade. Paid around $35.

I am also mashing in a 5 gallon Rubbermaid cooler and have had to get creative for larger beers. My last batch I had to cut down my grain bill by three pounds and then add a pound and a half of DME to the boil. 14 pounds is about the max you can fit in it, and it's a pretty thick mash. I'm going to put together a 10 gallon version and use it for big beers and the 5 gal MT for normal beers.

Thanks for all the information guys. I think I'll save my money and read up more on the AG process and then get a larger cooler that you guys suggested.

If you dont like the AG process, you can always de-convert it into a regular cooler and use it for putting your beers in, too!

Thanks for all the information guys. I think I'll save my money and read up more on the AG process and then get a larger cooler that you guys suggested.

I use a 5gal for my HLT (Holds my sparge water) and a 10 gal for my MLT. For 10 bucks you can't go wrong.

I can't use as an HLT. I'm typically sparging with 6+ gallons to get 8 in the boil, so I have 6 in the primary.
This is annoying, and if it weren't free, i'd buy a 10.
I have a large rectangular, but no drain, so I siphon over the top.... So fyi, whatever you do, bottom drains rule.

Well looks like Walmart right now has the Coleman Xtreme 50-Quart Wheeled Cooler for $29.99, so I'll probably go pick that up. I could probably use the 5 gallon cooler from Menards as my HLT, but as pelipen pointed out, not really sure how many gallons I'll need for sparging.

Back