New Styles to Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waynep005

Reaction score
I have not posted on this site in several years but have still been brewing. My brewing goal for 2016 is to diversify my brewing. It seems like I have been in a rut of IPAs, stouts,Porters, and Pale ales. I have a Weizenbock I just kegged and will brew a Kolsch in a few weeks. Any suggestions for a lesser known style that you like would be appreciated.

Lots to be said about this subject.

I like brewing to the season as posted above. However, there is something to be said about nailing a style, or a region, down pat.

I'm a bit of an anglophile when it comes to beers, so I spend most of my time trying to perfect British styles. Then, I try to focus on light beers in the spring and summer, and dark beers for winter and autumn.

I see a lot of English/American styles in your repertoire, try making some German or Belgian styles: Marzen, Helles, Altbier, Bock, Saison, Dubbel, Triple, etc

Or If you like American styles, try a Kentucky Common, or a Steam Beer.

I do brew a lot of English styles and am actively trying to branch out Working on some German styles right now. The Kolsch will tie up my fermentation chamber for a while as it laggers.will do a Belgian style or two. Was just looking for some uncommon styles like a Biete de Garde or the Weizenbock I brewed that you don't even see in bars or stores often.

If you really want different you could try a Grätzer (also called a Grodziskie). It's a wheat beer made from mostly smoked wheat malt (85-100%) and uses noble hops for flavor. It's next on my list since I just found where to get the smoked wheat malt.

Well, there's always dampfbier, kottbusser, Burton ales, altbier, & their derivatives. I've just about collected up all the ingredients for the near-extinct German mumme', a gruit ale. There threads on here for a couple of these of you dig a bit.:mug:

I have always enjoyed having some "session" beers (low abv) on tap. Three of my favorites..... and favorites of those who come over to my house to drink are:
*Blonde Ale
*Scottish 70
*British Dark Mild

All are 4% or less alcohol. There is a "light, Amber, Dark" representative from one to the next. They are tasty, easy to brew and quick to turn around for the most part. I always have one or two of these on tap. They are great for those who may not typically be "craft" beer drinkers..... but, I always find myself going to them as well.

Alts are a great beer.
Lagers..... dortmunder, helles and czech dark lager are some of my favorites.

I have brewed and enjoy a British mild I think an alt beer sounds like a good idea I can ferment and lager it with the Kolsch. A Saison sounds good after that I have not brewed one in a few years. Thank you for the suggestions

What does one do if his taste buds have no season?

#beerseason365

I have no "seasonal" requirements. I drink IPAs all winter, and if I want a stout or porter in August, I'm gonna have one. Same with my home-brewing. I have a "winter warmer" going right now that won't be fully conditioned probably until April, if not later. Think I am saving them for next winter?

Pshhyeah, right...

Nobody is suggesting that anyone brew according to season, although plenty of people, myself included, find it makes selection of the next recipe much easier.

The OP wants to diversify his brewing, and the list of styles I provided is organized according to the season that I prefer to drink them. It could just as easily be an alphabetical list or organized according to country of origin. That just happens to be where I get my inspiration, and I'm not trying to imply you can't have your summertime stout or wintertime wheat.

I do believe the seasonal argument totally misses the point of the OPs request.

I made a Lefse Blonde from an extract kit that I thought tasted excellent, and am going to keep brewing it as one that I want to perfect.

It's a Belgian style blonde, created by the Lutheran monks of Minnesota.

Back