New Stainless Steel Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rappell

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was tired of the large wrinkle in the side of my 10 gal cooler MT so I figured I'd just make a 15 gal stainless. Got a Bayou Classic 1060, drilled, dimpled and soldered a coupler in as shown in the soldering stainless thread and the $4.95 keg tool thread. Wrapped it in flexible plastic insulation and aluminum flashing from LOWES. I then added an amazing false bottom from Jaybird and built my $45 version of the ultimate a large arm. Works great with my RIMS system. Did a test run and in 1 hour it dropped from 170 deg to 158. I'd say the insulation works well.

photo 2.JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 1.JPG

photo 3.JPG

I did something very similar to yours except I insulated the bottom and lid. I lose 1 F an hour !

Lost 12*F in an hour? I don't think my poorly insulated keggle (one ill-fitting 3/8" layer of closed cell foam) loses quite that much. I was thinking of changing to 3 or 4 layers of reflectix and making a similarly insulated lid. What insulation did you use?

I used 4 layers of the flexible insulation. Not sure the brand. Looks like bubble wrap with aluminum foil on each side and 2" ridgid foam on the bottom. Then wrapped it with aluminum flashing. Did not insulate the lid. Holds heat as good as my 10 gal igloo. As I us a RIMS system heat loss is not as critical as when doing single infusion/batch spathe.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Nice, do you have some instructions and parts list for the sparge arm? I would like to build that exact same thing

Sorry for the delay. Got tied up and am now out of state on vacation. I'll post some pics next weekend when I return.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back