New SS Kegs from China

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libirm

Reaction score
Saw a deal on New SS 5gal Kegs that every thing looks great, but they are made in China.
Has any used these and any problems?

Here is a reply from a supplier I got
"We have a 1-Year Guarantee if it starts to rust on you, but I wouldn't worry about that happening.

Not sure if you know this, but 100% of everything Blichmann sells in the USA is made in China. They are known for being the high-end brewing equipment supplier here in the U.S.. Also our source for kegs has been to Blichmann's China factory, and confident that where we get our stuff made is on par with them.
I know China has a bad wrap for stuff, but these are well made.

90% of the fermenters at your local microbrewery are made in China. So as long as you get the right factories building your equipment, they are as good!
Hope this info helps ease your mind a little about the quality of the product you will be getting :)"

So it would seem WHERE it's made in China that matters.
I not seen to many complaints here in these forums- still not sure about them to be honest

It's not being made in China that worries me. It's the lack of NSF certification. Not everything I brew with has NSF certification, but I'd much rather have that for a container in which my brew may be stored in for many weeks or even months.

Why should NSF certification matter if you follow proper cleaning and sanitization steps. If it really bothers folks then just buy some used ball or pin lock kegs.

Why should NSF certification matter if you follow proper cleaning and sanitization steps. If it really bothers folks then just buy some used ball or pin lock kegs.

It matters because it assures that surfaces are easily cleaned and sanitized. It also assures that welds are food safe.

I'm not saying these kegs are bad. They are probably fine. I have chosen to buy AEB and used kegs. At the time the AEB kegs were about $10 more so I opted for the NSF certified. Since I have found reliable sources of used kegs that are better constructed than the AEB kegs.

Just trying to give people the information that I considered to make an informed decision. YMMV.

Back