new sanke D coupler...remove the plastic ball?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twst1up

Reaction score
OK, so my keezer is functional, got a brand new coupler last week, picked up a keg of SNPA a few days ago. Got my love controller regulating the keezer to 42 and the fedex guy just dropped off a shipment from NB with my beernut/tailpiece and washer...I'm all set....except for one stupid question:

The coupler has a little plastic ball rolling around the liquid out port, and its held in by a small plastic flange/washer kinda thing located where i would connect the tailpiece via beernut. It slips out easily enough, and the little ball rolls right out...so: What are these things? and more importantly: do I need to keep either one when i make my connections?

Yeah, i know...stupid question, but hey, better safe than sorry right?:fro:

AFAIK, all it does is prevent the beer in the line from leaking when you remove the tapper from the keg. Remove it or not, it's up to you.

So I totally understand the purpose of the check ball & retainer, but I actually want to remove it from one of my taps, so I can use it as a reverse-flow for cleaning.

My question is: is removal a destructive activity -- i.e., I'll either have to buy a new retainer or the tap is permanently converted -- or, if I'm careful, is it likely that I'll be able to re-insert it later & have a "normal" tap again?

Thanks!

...And, to answer my own question (for future spelunkers), a gentle pull with needle nose pliers pulled it right out with no damage, whatsoever.

Yay!

Yup, I did exactly this on my transfer sanke couplers for my multi vessel barleywine solera project. I use John Guest fittings on the in and out that go to 3/8" OD tubing, and will cascade transfer from vessel to vessel. I only have one vessel so far, but 2019 will be the next batch for the second vessel. I needed to take the check valve out so that I could fill through the liquid fitting.

If you want to be able to use your ball lock fittings, there are some really handy fittings that go directly from the 5/8" BSPP on the sanke coupler to ball lock gas and beer posts so that you can just attach ball lock QD's onto it. I have a set of those as well on a separate coupler.

Back