new RIMS build questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanPoch

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Being the dead of winter here in NewEngland it's too damn cold to brew in my garage, so I'm spending money of upgrades instead of ingredients. With the amount of spare time I have I'm sure it will take a year to put this together (especially since I'm making a fermentation chamber at the same time, and a collar for my chest freezer)

I'm working on building a RIMS and have a couple questions at this stage in planning. I'm sure more will come up as I continue, but for now I'll stick with these:

1) What's the difference between 304 and 316 Stainless Steel? Can they be mixed and matched?

2) When connecting the pipes together is teflon tape sufficient for the threads, or do I need to use something else?

Thanks in advance!

1. There is not much difference between 304 and 316 for brewing purposes. 316 for other, general purposes is preferred for outdoor applications if you're near the ocean and have to deal with salt spray or something. No impact on brewing otherwise.

2. Teflon tape is fine.

Great! Thank you for the quick reply.

Once I get this all laid out and dry fit I'm planning on having an electrician friend of mine make sure I get all the wiring correct :)

Back