New or Used Fridge for a Fermentation Chamber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should probably begin with where I brew, as I believe this has played a huge role in my process. I live and brew in south Mississippi. Our 95 degree heat in the summer provides another challenge in the process of fermenting. I know what you are thinking, “Just put the fermenter in the cool basement and let it bubble away.” That would be an excellent option if we lived in an area where basements were part of every house, but in our piece of the world, the water table is so high that any basement would quickly turn into a very unpleasant, aromatic mildew spa. Much to the chagrin of my wife, my fermenter took up residence in our closet, right next to her clothes of course; and no, I was not using a blow off tube.
This is the point in my tale where my version of the events and my wife’s version differ slightly. My version is that the air lock and bung were ever so gently pushed out of the fermenter and my beautiful wort bubbled down the side of the fermenter, leaving a very tiny puddle for me to clean up. Now my wife believes that Astronaut Scott Kelly saw the explosion from the International Space Station as my “smelly beer” spewed out over all of her clothes. You can decide for yourselves which version is true, but I must disclose that our Pastor asked my wife that following Sunday if she had been drinking.
My experience quickly taught me that I needed a new place to ferment and a hot garage in August would probably not be the way to go. I decided that I needed to find a refrigerator to serve as a fermentation chamber.

What Are You Looking to Accomplish With Your Refrigerator?

Make sure you are looking for a fridge that will hold as many fermenters as oyu need it to.
If you are looking to just use it for fermentation control of one carboy, then maybe a mini-fridge would work just fine for your purposes. An added bonus is that they are relatively cheap, even brand new, usually around $100. If kegs, as in more than one, are in your future plans, then a full size refrigerator or freezer is likely a wiser choice. Since we live in the era of the internet, and more importantly HomeBrewTalk, why should we reinvent the wheel and do all of our own time consuming research? Edwort over in the forum has already done an amazing job of researching and documenting freezer sizes and how many kegs each will hold. Check it out when you have a spare few minutes, I promise that you will be impressed and have a better understanding of what you may need to meet your own personal requirements.There are a few things to consider when making your decision as to whether or not to go used or with a brand new refrigerator or freezer.
First of all is cost: Are you, or better yet your spouse, ready to drop anywhere from a few hundred to a thousand dollars (and up for ultra high end ones) on an appliance that you will modify to suit your purposes?
Second of all is your home brewing vision: What are your long term plans or goals with home brewing? Are you planning on just fermenting in it or are you planning on kegging or using refrigerator/freezer for cold storage of food? Is this a passing “hobby” or are you in this lifestyle for the long haul? I know, I know it is a stupid question, but I had to see if you were still reading.

Pros & Cons of New and Used Fridges.

New Pros:

Reliability: A brand new fridge is well, new. There is no risk of the compressor dying the moment you complete your modifications.
Cleanliness: Let’s face it, who among us relishes the thought of cleaning up someone else’s mess? A new fridge still has that “new fridge smell” and zero mold or years of food and grime build up.

New Cons:

Warranty: The moment you take a drill or a pair of wire cutters to your new fermentation chamber to be, you can kiss your warranty goodbye.
Price: A new fridge can be expensive, especially when could be modifying it.
Probobly not a good idea to shoot for a fridge this old, but a used fridge can serve your purpose.

Used Pros:

Price: A used refrigerator or freezer will be much cheaper and in some cases even free.
No warranty hassles: You can modify your fermentation chamber to your heart’s content without worrying about voiding any warranty.

Used Cons:

Reliability: You have no idea how long the compressor will last. It could very well last for years but you just don’t know.
Higher electric cost: Your used fridge could end up costing you more in the long run by costing more in higher electric bills.

Sourcing a Used Refrigerator

If you get lucky, you can get a decent fridge on the cheap or even free.
If you find it difficult to drop a few hundred dollars on a brand new appliance just for fermentation, you may be headed down a path to acquire a used unit. Try scouring the local classifieds, Craigslist, Facebook, or yard sales for some great deals. If you are patient, you will eventually land a fridge on the cheap. If it is graduation season, you may be fortunate enough to find some sobering up frat boy that is unloading his beer fridge.

Temperature Control Options

Either way you go, you will need some additional help to control your fermentation temperature. There are a myriad of choices, from the inexpensive STC-1000 that requires a bit of wiring and planning, to the pre-wired versions that are simple to use and setup.
The STC-1000 version is one of the most widely recognized and used temperature controller used in the home brew community. It does take a bit of wiring knowledge to set it up but nothing more than some basic home electrical wiring. They are pretty simply device. The STC-1000 uses a temperature probe to monitor your temperature in your fermentation chamber and then either close a circuit to turn on a heat source, usually an incandescent light bulb placed in your chamber, or turn on the compressor to cool the chamber. The crux is that you need to wire up 2 outlets to power your heat source or your compressor. Not terribly difficult, but a bit more work than a simple plug and play.
The pre-wired versions by Inkbird, Johnson Controls, and numerous others operate using the same concept. The main difference between the 2 is the simplicity of setting them up. They come pre-wired with outlets ready to connect your heat source and your compressor. Your only “chore” is to set the temperature range, and your fermentation chamber is ready to go.
full-size-fridges.jpg

I am using an old fridge/freezer, I start the brew in the freezer first 5 ~ 10 days, then move to fridge for next 5 ~ 10 days. I find the fridge gets no cooling but in North Wales after the first 5 ~ 10 days it does not need cooling. The freezer is frost free, it has to be, or it will have the evaporator as shelves within the unit so can't get a fermentor in. Since frost free there is a built in fan, and the evaporator is behind a panel at the back, so once power is removed cooling stops straight away, there is no mass of stuff causing the cooling to continue. With the sensor on the fermentor under a sponge so not reading air temperature the unit will run when first switched on with a fermentor at 23.8°C for around 40 minutes before switching off as fermentor hits 19°C. At this point air in freezer at around 8°C. It will warm up again quickly and start a second time before settling down as the plastic wall of fermentor not that good at radiating heat even with a fan running. After this it will likely run twice a day.
Without the fan it would clearly take longer to cool down, and with a chest freezer you also have walls made of aluminum not plastic with the evaporator in contact with the aluminum so after the motor switches off it is still cooling the brew.
Since I don't use a chest freezer I don't know how that changes how it works? Heat side I just use an 8W bulb, even in the heart of winter in my garage that is enough. Now here I in early days made a mistake, I used a demo under floor heating tile 18W which the fermentor sat on nicely. However mass matters, so when it turned off, it was still heating the brew, also 18W was too big so the tile got too hot, the net result was the temperature would over shoot. Ambient temperature in garage 2 ~ 26°C winter to summer. I am sure in USA the swing is much greater? But still learn from my error heater needs to be light and small unless using a fish tank heater in the brew.

The advantage of using plastic fermenting buckets is that they are lighter, cheaper, and won't shatter if you drop them. The advantage of glass carboys is that they are more scratch-resistant, so there's less chance of bacteria lurking in scratches after you clean them, and they are pretty :) To each his own.

"but I must disclose that our Pastor asked my wife that following Sunday if she had been drinking."
Awesome. I am fortunate to have a wife that appreciates the fruits of my brewing labor. But then again, we have a spacious basement ;)

The fridge doesn't know what temperature it is at. There is a controller and a compressor. That's about it. If you set it up such that the compressor is being turned on and off every 30 seconds, sure it is going to die because it has a life cycle. But to say that operating a fridge at 60F is going to kill it in 6 months is simply wrong.

Yep, and my glass carboy was great until it slipped and only fell a few inches but onto concrete was enough to break it (luckily it was empty at the time). I've never understood the websites that say a plastic bucket should only be used 4-5 times.

I went the used route, it was given to me by the local cafe - my wife told me that we couldn't afford the electric to run it, so it sat for a couple of months, while I'm getting an Electric Brew System built - Guess what?? She has decided to take over the refrigerator we couldn't afford to use and now it is full of veggies, ice cubes and other 'necessities.' Now, when I get my EBS finished, I've got to go out and find another freebie fridge!

I’m looking to buy a chest freezer to use for my fermentation, what size fits a 6.5L or 5L glass carboy???

Latest posts

Back