New Mead Book - The Complete Guide to Making Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVMJ

Reaction score
The Complete Guide to Making Mead

by Steve Piatz. Got this book this week, very nice modern noboil enhance the varietal essence mead making book from a beer brewers outlook, good SOP on yeast nutrients and SNA. My only major difference with this book is that we use KM more readily but we are also from a winemaking school vs a beer brewers. WVMJ

The Complete Guide to Making Mead

by Steve Piatz. Got this book this week, very nice modern noboil enhance the varietal essence mead making book from a beer brewers outlook, good SOP on yeast nutrients and SNA. My only major difference with this book is that we use KM more readily but we are also from a winemaking school vs a beer brewers. WVMJ

Do you have Ken Schramm's "The Compleat Meadmaker"? If so, can you compare the differences?

NO HEAT WHATSOEVER, no boiling honey, no boil the water and dump the honey in to pasteurize it, modern view of SNA concluding at 30% vs 50%, overall a more concise modern approach without a bunch of telling you to do it one way and then in a single paragraph saying that isnt how I do it anyway, never figured out that approach, but of course Ken does have a professional Meadery and can sell mead for real and has lots of fans and followers. It seems from reading KS that a lot of beerm brewing influenced mead making such as all the pasteurizing honey etc. New book is clearly a beer brewer perspective, only real difference in what a lot of mead makers do is in the use of sulfites. I would own both books as well as Morse as a basic meadmaking reference library. New book perfect for members of this site who have a background in beer brewing as well as anyone else who wants to make mead better.

WVMJ

Latest posts

Back