New mash tun question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonnieZ

Reaction score
Getting close to doing my first AG batch... Got my mash tun just about ready, but I have one question. I've converted a rectangular 48Qt Coleman cooler by outfitting a brass ball valve and screen into the drain hole.

I bought one of the screens available at my LHBS instead of making a manifold or modifying a toilet hose. My issue is that the screen isn't resting on the bottom of my mash tun, it's level with the drain in the cooler. How much wort am I going to lose with a setup like this, or should I just plan on tilting the cooler / setting it on an incline? I'm also thinking about getting something to fill in the bottom volume of the cooler - styrofoam coated in plastic or maybe some marbles.

I may start out with some 3 gallon batches just to get the process down and possibly to brew in the house. At 3 gallons I'd be losing more percentage of the total volume than I would be if I were doing a 5 gallon batch.

I would first figure out how much wort I would be loosing. Take a graduated pitcher and poor in two quarts, place pitcher underneath, open valve, let drain until it stops. Now look what is missing from the pitcher. If it is more volume your willing to loose fold a towel up and tilt it.

Latest posts

Back