New Jersey - what to see/do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eharris8310

Reaction score
Heading to NJ tomorrow for a few days and curious if there is anything I should not miss. We will probably go into NY at least once and will be staying near Seton Hall in South Orange. Any ideas or suggestions welcome.

Just realized this is in wrong area but i dont know how to move, sorry.

Morristown is pretty cool- Revolutionary war stuff to see there- also Jersey City is a dump, but the 2nd Street Bakery is the best sandwich place I've ever been to- amazing bread, and homemade italian sandwiches on homemade bread....mmmmmmmmmmmm

Their cinnamon bread is amazing- DON'T PASS IT UP

I would fly back into Newark just for a chance to hit the bakery again.

I need to go to NJ as that is the purpose of the trip (son is going to Seton Hall for orientation). Appreciate the ideas so far, keep'em coming.

Right down the st from seton hall is The Gaslight (brewery). Haven't been there in 5+ years but remember they had good beer and food. There is an incredible bagel shop across the street. If you've never had Taylor Ham and cheese before it's a must. No ****, when I moved to VA for college my roommate and I used to set that **** at a premium, we'd bring it down frozen in coolers.

In Caldwell there is a bar that got named best beer bar by some decently expectable website, that's about 25 min from SH.

The Trattoria in mapleood makes one of the best buffalo chicken pizzas in the game.

Sorry, those were my stomping grounds back in the day.

@k1ngl1ves...
You've been watching too much TV about NJ. Jersey is a fantastic state (and I am not a native NJ'er, but did live outside Princeton for 6 years). There are great things to do in NJ. Go to Newark's Ironbound District for great Portuguese food. As earlier stated Morristown is nice. Hoboken has lots of great places as well. Princeton is nice town with a nice brewpub (Triumph), but probably a bit far from where you are. Those that disparage NJ have either a) watched too much Sopranos, b) never lived there, or c) didn't appreciate what it has when they did.

And yes, you can get the best bagels you've ever had.

@k1ngl1ves...

Don't forget Pizza. It is different then NY pizza but not by a lot.

I can't help with where to go, I don't pay attention to where we eat/drink when we are up there but my whole family outside of my parents and sister live in the area.

http://www.nps.gov/pagr/index.htm
Just make sure you lock your doors!

Statue of Liberty

Turtle Back Zoo is about 5 minutes away...

There's plenty to do!

Take a ride to the beach...most areas are still recovering from the Hurricane, but you can still sit on the best beaches in the land!

@k1ngl1ves...
You've been watching too much TV about NJ. Jersey is a fantastic state (and I am not a native NJ'er, but did live outside Princeton for 6 years). There are great things to do in NJ. Go to Newark's Ironbound District for great Portuguese food. As earlier stated Morristown is nice. Hoboken has lots of great places as well. Princeton is nice town with a nice brewpub (Triumph), but probably a bit far from where you are. Those that disparage NJ have either a) watched too much Sopranos, b) never lived there, or c) didn't appreciate what it has when they did.

Very true. Well to be fair, most people that have never really visited NJ have either passed through Newark via the airport or watched Sopranos. If all I ever knew about California was Oakland, I'd talk with a dirty mouth too.

The view from my porch is nothing like that:
ISxnshay8dfkd01000000000.jpg

The view from my porch is nothing like that:
Wait, what . . . I missed the part where you moved. Are you living in the Whitehouse area now?

Oh, and to compete, here's the view from the field behind my house where I walk my dog daily. I'm just outside of Stockton, NJ.

homeloop3.jpg

Latest posts

Back