New IIPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmoewes

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Now that the weather is getting nice I am dieing to get out an brew some more. I've been working around a new IIPA/DIPA recipe and was hoping to get a few comments on it.

SRM: 12.4 SRM
IBU: 92.2
OG: 1.086
FG: 1.016
Batch Size: 5 gallon

Amt Name
0.50 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM)
11.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
3.50 lb Wheat - Red Malt (Briess) (2.3 SRM)
2.50 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM)
1.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Magnum [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min
2.00 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days

2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)

I like the hops/hop schedule. What size batch is this?

5 gallon.

Some of the hops were based on what I have from bulk purchase.

I wan't sure about using Columbus and Centennial together since I think Columbus is essential a substitute for Centennial.

I wasn't sure on the dry hopping. I might swap out or add in some Amarillo since I like that tropical note it has. Maybe replace or split it with the chinook.

The answer is always the same with these threads:

Less crystal, more hops.

I also prefer lower FG in an IIPA over higher OG any day.

What temp do you do the steep/whirlpool at and how do you accomplish it with your system? Hops look good to me for something different.

I think columbus is very different than centennial. Columbus is very dank/resiny and i've found can overtake other hop flavors very easily. Centennial is very grapefruit citrussy and mild floral.

What temp do you do the steep/whirlpool at and how do you accomplish it with your system? Hops look good to me for something different.

I have a pump and a whirlpool inlet
I'm still working on my whirlpool technique whether to chill to 180 first or just let it drop from ambient while the whirlpool is going on

I see. I'm going to try a whirlpool soon on a DIPA at 160 and just stir by hand.

The answer is always the same with these threads:

Less crystal, more hops.

I also prefer lower FG in an IIPA over higher OG any day.

So what would you shoot for in an IIPA as far as OG and FG and ABV?

I find I almost always missing my calculated FG and wind up lower, I assume this is due to somewhat lower mash temperature when I actually brew.

So what would you shoot for in an IIPA as far as OG and FG and ABV?

I find I almost always missing my calculated FG and wind up lower, I assume this is due to somewhat lower mash temperature when I actually brew.

High 1.060s to upper 1.070s OG range yields the most drinkability IMO. That OG can support the massive hopload with a decent malt character, while at the same time having the ability to dry out to 1.011 FG or lower. Lower FG is a good thing for IIPAs... that means you're doing something right and could be attributed to a variety of reasons, e.g. 0-5% cara malts, using some simple sugar to replace a small portion of base malt, yeast health and oxygenation level, etc. I'm also a big fan of 147-151 F, 75 to 90 minute mashes for this style.

Back