New House, New Brew Space

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewshki

Reaction score
My soon to be fiancé are moving into a new house soon. While it is extremely exciting, my current brewing situation will be upturned again and I will need to figure out the best way to adjust to my new house. Luckily, this should be a much more permanent space. We are purchasing this house, rather than leasing, so there should be no more moving.

I have what looks to be two fairly good brewing areas. One: the garage. Two: the back patio. We have a three car garage, but it really feels more like a 2. It technically could fit three, but it would be tight, and we don't have three cars. There are plenty of cabinets and a sink (huge bonus). The biggest downside of the garage, and setting up my system in the drive way, is that there is a lot of morning sun. I normally begin brewing in the morning and have some reservations about it. I live is Southern California, and the heat can really get up there and turn a brew day into a dehydrated nap at about 4 pm.

Alternatively, there is the back patio near the grill. This has no sun issues. However, it is much further from where the fermentation chamber will be (the garage), has no sink (except for being near the kitchen), and will get hotter in the afternoon. The nice thing is that there is a kind of natural three tier area i can set my system up on for the time being. I have attached some pictures of each space below. Part of me is leaning towards the garage to really set up a cool brewery space like i have seen here. What do you all think?

No matter what, part of the garage will store my equipment and I am hoping to make it into a "tap room" ish area. At the very least, it will be somewhere to hang out and grab beer from the keezer.

Why not brew in the garage with the door open? Set up everything in there. Put your burner on a set of casters and you can roll it over to the fermentor if needed.

Proximity to a sink, drain and water is everything, and the ability to shut it all off and not have to look at the mess is also very valuable. It also looks like you might have a power connection of some kind on the non-sink counters that maybe could be repurposed for electric brewing.

Brew in the garage.

Garage 100%. If you totally need cover get a cheap pop-up tent (Easy-Up, etc.). Looks like it will be a sweet setup.

I just realized I never responded with what I ended up doing for brew day #1 at the new place. I used the garage. Like everyone said above, the proximity to the sink and storage was just too good to pass up. I did set up my burner outside of the garage and some chairs in the garage in the shade and under a nice large tree we have. It ended up working out very well. The entire set up was in the shade of the house at about 2 or 3. It was amazing to just turn around and put all of my things away in the garage and transport the wort maybe 20 feet. I may consider a hood and electric brewery. However, purchasing the house is really putting us in a tight financial situation, so I think equipment upgrades will be far the in the future. Our grill in the back does have a natural gas hook-up, so part of me wonders if I could get that kind of situation going near the garage and never have to worry about propane again. If I buy any equipment soon, it will definitely be a brew stand. I currently stack my system on tables and buckets to be able to fly sparge with gravity.

I would convert a burner to natural gas. You should have a connection at the water heater.

Can't you buy burners that are equipped for natural gas? If so, that will be a serious consideration. My only question would be how to continue to brew right outside of the garage. I hate the sound/buzzing of hoods. I'm not sure I could take it.

Can't you buy burners that are equipped for natural gas? If so, that will be a serious consideration. My only question would be how to continue to brew right outside of the garage. I hate the sound/buzzing of hoods. I'm not sure I could take it.

Blichmann burners can be converted to natural gas for 20 bucks.

You could probable order it that way as well.

Back