New home brewer question about terms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan_F_30

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to home brewing and had a question on a few terms if some could define them for me.
In the mash profile of some recipes I see the terms:
"Sacch' rest" and "medium body infusion in"
Glad I found this forum! Thanks for the help!

Dan_F_30 said:
Hello, I'm new to home brewing and had a question on a few terms if some could define them for me.
In the mash profile of some recipes I see the terms:
"Sacch' rest" and "medium body infusion in"
Glad I found this forum! Thanks for the help!

Saccharification rest is the temp you mash at in a single infusion mash, usually between 148F and 160F. The lower your temp, the more fermentable your wort will be; and vice versa. A "medium body infusion" is likely around 152F. Cheers!

So is it different than the mash in?

Not really.

You "mash in" with your "strike water" to make your mash. Once you've mashed in, you let the beer sit at its "saccrification rest" at the temperature and time indicated in the recipe.

The recipe may tell you the temperature, while the expression "single infusion medium body" tells you a bit more. You will only add water at the beginning (single infusion) and leave it there, and since you're shooting for a medium body beer, the middle range for the saccrification rest will be used- around 153F in my system.

Dan there's a great Beer Teminlogy reference guide on morebeer.com website in the Learning Center. Easy to understand definitions that can help clear up many questions

Thanks for all the help. Can't wait to start my next brew. Being a chemist by trade I'm very interested in home brewing. Thanks again!

Back