New here, red ipa help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoptoit1

Reaction score
Hello, new here and from UK.
Just wanting to do a red ipa. Will be my 3Rd ag biab.
Can't seem to get much input from the UK forums. Thinking of brewing a red ipa next. Hopped with plenty of new Zealand hops.
Was thinking along the lines of ilkley brewery kahika.
http://www.ilkleybrewery.co.uk/our-b...ika-nz-red-ipa
Just wondering if anyone has tried and tested any good red ipa for a background to use the hops that they use.
Also had put this recipe together. Sorry it's in metric. Any views appreciated.

27 litre mash at 65oc for 60 mins
dunk spargeto 28 litres for a 60 minute boil for 23 litres to fermentor.

4.8kg belgium pale ale
750g munich light
450g cara red
300g cara munich

15g @60min southern cross leaf 12%
15g @60min stricklebract leaf 13%
1og @15min motueka pellet 7%
10g @15min pacifica leaf 5%
10g @15min wakatu leaf 7.5%
10g @0min motueka
10g @0min pacifica
10g @0min wakatu

10g each dry hop for 4 days of the above three.
Yeast US-05 ferment at 18oc
og 1060
fg 1014
6.08%

Thanks

That looks fine to me, should have a decent sweet malt backbone with the use of Munich, caramunich and Cara red (which I have read gives a biscuit taste)

I don't know how you cool but from my experience I get more hop flavour/aroma if do a hop steep i.e. leave hops in after flameout and delay chilling for about 40minutes whilst occasionally stirring hops.

As far as NZ hops I've heard Nelson Sauvin really complements Southern Cross if you can get your hand on them (I'm UK based and they're always out of stock and quite pricey, however a little goes a long way). Here in the UK the only commercially available beer you can get from any supermarket that uses Nelson is Hobgoblin Gold (along with Citra hops)

The only other thing I can suggest is if you do end up doing a hop steep is up your late hops at expense of earlier additions (i.e. 10g at 15min and 15g at 0min) as extraction is lower late on but you get more of the fruitier characteristics which work well in a NZ IPA.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back