New guy... Cidery beer brings me here.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheepbeer

Reaction score
I was awfully disappointed to see the thread "So you think you ruined your beer" deleted. I thought it was an excellent and informative thread for a newbie like me.

Dang...

Anyway my name is Rick and I too :ban: brewed an ale that tastes like apple cider. Maybe its green... dunno... im going to let it sit in bottles for 3 weeks or more as per instructions on that wonderful and now missing thread.

it sounds like you've already read around this site a bit, but if youre using kits... throw out the instructions. they will probably suggest primarying for 3 or 4 days... go for minimum 2 weeks instead, it will be worth it. find directions on this site as to how to do things, and use a brew calculating program like brewtarget (free)

Yes. I've looked around a bit... great site. My premier hopped malt was in primary 7 days and secondary 7 days. Been in bottle now for 6 days.... I will test after 10 days to see if any cider has gone... (I HATE cider!!lol) I used a mixture of corn syrup and white sugar... as per instructions on premier.

My Mangrove jack is very cidery as well but I think my mistake was using brown sugar (2lbs) with that. I went to Mangrove jacks website and read "DO NOT USE BROWN SUGAR" (recipe called for dextrose. I thought the brown would lend a mapley flavor but I again got.... Apple cider.

Back in the 80's I made several hundred batches using premier extract. Using all that white sugar is what gives it the cidery taste. For improved results with premier, use a second can of extract in place of the sugar or use dextrose. Extra hops helps, as does some steeping grains additions.

Yes. I've looked around a bit... great site. My premier hopped malt was in primary 7 days and secondary 7 days. Been in bottle now for 6 days.... I will test after 10 days to see if any cider has gone... (I HATE cider!!lol) I used a mixture of corn syrup and white sugar... as per instructions on premier.

My Mangrove jack is very cidery as well but I think my mistake was using brown sugar (2lbs) with that. I went to Mangrove jacks website and read "DO NOT USE BROWN SUGAR" (recipe called for dextrose. I thought the brown would lend a mapley flavor but I again got.... Apple cider.

Sounds like it is still green, give it 2 to 3 weeks in the bottle then try.

Back