New GF brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ModlrMike

Reaction score
My wife is celiac and can't drink regular beer. Yesterday she tried a Bard's and really liked it, so she asked me to make something similar. I was thinking of starting with a 5 litre test batch. I have 600gm of brown rice syrup and can get buckwheat honey. With some gentle hopping would this give me something reasonable? Here's the recipe based on what I've got on hand:

500gm Brown Rice Syrup
100gm Buckwheat honey
25gm Molasses

6gm Haliterau (4) x 60 min
3gm Hallertau (4) x 15 min

Nottingham yeast

I'm aiming for a blonde ale. The vitals are SG 1.045 FG 1.010 IBU 17 SRM 4.7

ModlrMike,

Looks like a good basic recipe. I'd suggest move the honey to Flameout and the Molasses to about 10 minutes. A little irish moss (3g) at 10 minutes would help to keep it clear. For Example:

0.5 kg BRS @ 60min
6 g Haliterau @ 60min
3 g Haliterau @ 15min
25 g Molasses @ 10min
3 g Irish Moss @ 10min
100 g Buckwheat Honey @ Flameout

Ferment for 2-3 weeks placing it in a cold spot / fridge at about 2-5C for the last 2 days before bottling
Carb with about 30g corn sugar (dextrose)

Let us know how it turns out

sounds like a plan to me, seems like it would be an easy drinking ale. Moving the honey to flame out will change the IBUs but you can calculate for that. I would like to how it comes out as well.

Back