New brewer from Nebraska

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derek224

Reaction score
Just stopping by for a quick introduction. I have a little brewing knowledge and have brewed 3 successful batches. I am just now getting into kegging. I am getting ready to brew my first stout. So a quick question (I know this may be the wrong spot to post sorry). I'm looking at doing an extract oatmeal stout. How long should I leave in the primary , should I use a secondary, and is there anything special I need to know to make this a successful brew? I will be kegging this also. Any help would be much appreciated!!!!

Welcome! I just happened to notice your post and live in Bellevue as well. :p

You just asked a few questions that have no definitive answer, so take what I write simply as opinions or suggestions.

I've found the main purpose of a secondary tends to be for clarity - something you probably don't really need in a stout. Also, since you're planning to keg, I'd suggest 3-6 weeks or so in a primary. The longer you wait, the better your beer will probably be, but personally I'd wait at least four weeks.

Then, if you can wait that long to tap your first keg, give your brew a week or so in the fridge under 20psi. That should carb it up slowly while it clears and your keg acts as a secondary. With your beer cold, it will also clear faster than at ale fermenting temps.

Take a couple short draws during the week if you want to test it out, then drop your pressure to 5ish or lower when it is carbed and you are ready to serve it. The test draws will likely be a bit cloudy as they are pulling out the sediment from your secondary.

I hope that helps! 8^)

If you have any questions, let me know. :)

Our club is also listed in the clubs tab of this website with more info if you are looking to connect with local homebrewers.

Happy brewing! Prost!

- Terry
- VP of Railroaders Brew Club, Omaha, NE

Joftinac thanks for they reply and advice!! I never thought of the keg acting as a secondary. I will be sure to look into the club and keep updates on the stout.

Latest posts

Back