New brewer from Chicagoland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaustink83

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I already made a few posts in the beginners forum so I figured I should introduce myself as well. I am from NW Chicago burbs (Streamwood) and I am working on my very first extract brew now, a high ABV imperial stout (bourbon county stout clone). I know its probably not something a newbie should have started with but so far so good, only had a few minor issues, mostly doubting myself and asking for tips.

Been using Brew and Grow in Roselle as my go-to local supply store. They have had everything I've needed so far and been very nice and helpful as has the forums here!

Hey welcome to HBT! I'm a regular at B&G Roselle myself, great guys to deal with.

Since you're brewing with extract, a bourbon county clone isn't all that difficult. Plus, dark beers in general are more forgiving than lighter styles.

I prefer the darker style in general. However I know I should have started with something a bit more basic. The more I read and watch homebrew channels the more conflicting info I find.

For example I keep hearing don't use a secondary fermenter unless you are adding adjuncts. It only increases your risk of oxidation and infection.
Then at the same time a lot of sources say a big ABV beer like this should sit in secondary for 1-6 months to clarify and meld flavors or it will taste green.

The instructions I got with the kit don't tell me to age it in secondary either.

Plus as my first brew I am...eager, lol... to get it into bottles and to the point I can tell if its any good or not and I am fighting that urge to move forward too fast.

I prefer the darker style in general. However I know I should have started with something a bit more basic. The more I read and watch homebrew channels the more conflicting info I find.

For example I keep hearing don't use a secondary fermenter unless you are adding adjuncts. It only increases your risk of oxidation and infection.
Then at the same time a lot of sources say a big ABV beer like this should sit in secondary for 1-6 months to clarify and meld flavors or it will taste green.

The instructions I got with the kit don't tell me to age it in secondary either.

Plus as my first brew I am...eager, lol... to get it into bottles and to the point I can tell if its any good or not and I am fighting that urge to move forward too fast.

With all the conflicting homebrew info, I recommend getting Charlie Papazian's book The Complete Joy of Home Brewing. Eventually you will find out which methods works best for you.

I started brewing back in the mid 1980's and remember about getting eager to get my homebrew into bottles, a few batches later I couldn't wait to get away from bottles and start kegging my beer.

Enjoy your new hobby.:bigmug:

Welcome to the community from a former south side and member of both BOSS and Chicago Beer Society. These are just two of the many great homebrew clubs in the Chicagoland area. You have a wealth of brewing knowledge and help available to you here on HBT as well as area shops and clubs.

Most brewers don't bother with a secondary, for the reasons you mentioned. Give it a good long rest in primary, 8 weeks is long enough so the yeast have time to clean up and drop out, then bottle or keg as usual. Either way, you'll want to leave it to condition for at least a month, but you can start sampling after two weeks and you'll be able to judge when it's ready. Some of the commercial imperial stouts, like Old Rasputin, are not really aged at all before hitting store shelves.

Like wine, some beer styles are better fresh, others require aging, and yet others drink well both young and old. IME, imperial stout is one of those styles. The difference is a distinct set of flavors that aging will produce, but they are optional.

Last edited:
Back