New Brew Pot Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmithsonBrewer

Reaction score
I recently purchased a nice 9 gal 2 weld brew pot. Today was my first day brewing with it....
Apparently I didn't wash it out well enough before hand and now there is a grey filmy oil coming of in to my boiling wort...
I've pretty much accepted that this batch is getting tossed but I thought I'd ask here anyways.
Anybody else have this happen?

Lets start by what it's made of. Is this an SS or aluminum kettle? If aluminum, was it fully passivated (allowed to form a protective oxide layer)?

Hmm... My best guess would be oils from the manufacturing process. I only gave my kettles a quick scrub with a green scrubby and some Dawn before using them and didn't have an issue. I didn't see anything on them, it was a "just to be sure thing".

Hmm... My best guess would be oils from the manufacturing process. I only gave my kettles a quick scrub with a green scrubby and some Dawn before using them and didn't have an issue. I didn't see anything on them, it was a "just to be sure thing".

Ya this looked pretty nasty. There was a grey film on top of my hot break. And dark gunk on the sides of the pot. The wort is pretty discoloured. Just wondering if it's worth fermenting...

Ya this looked pretty nasty. There was a grey film on top of my hot break. And dark gunk on the sides of the pot. The wort is pretty discoloured. Just wondering if it's worth fermenting...

i dont think id want it in my fermenter it could possibly leave a film and maybe screw up another batch

One of the best things I read on HBT, somewhere, was to clean in place. I have a 3-tier system, but even when I do an occasional extract batch, I clean in place. At the end of brewing, I fill the pot 3/4, put in PBW and heat to 140, let it sit 20-30 min (putting my equipment to clean in the warm soapy water). Dump that out through the valve, then repeat with just water. I leave the equipment out to "drip dry." I also do a batch of hot water to begin my brewday. It does waste a little water (though not really, as I use the clean water for my lawn) but makes brewday much more bearable, I hate cleaning.

Anyhow, I have a new pot, am going to do this (in addition to disassembling the valve and cleaning it in advance), and expect that'll get any bad stuff out. I assume it's machine lube.

Latest posts

Back