New Brew Kettle - Help me decide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Kettle to buy

• 10 Gallon Polarware

• 10 Gallon Megapot

Results are only viewable after voting.

CyclingCraig

Reaction score
I already have a SS 30qt kettle. I am moving up to All-Grain and need a second pot. I want a 10 gallon pot and can't decide if I should go Megapot or Polarware?(Also keeping it simple, no spigot or thermometer)

I have read a bunch of threads on kettles, but I just want to hear some more definitive answers on, if you had to choose one of the above, which would you go for. and NO! I am not spending the money on the new Blichmann Boilermaker ;)

So vote away!

I would recommend a bigger pot that will let you do 10 gallon batches of AG. It's not much more work and it yields twice as much beer. I do it in one kettle and simply rack cooled wort into two bucket fermenters.

For 10 gallon batches, you really want 11 gallons (5.5 per fermenter), so you need to start out with 13 gallons to account for evaporation and what's left in the kettle. You want a big enough kettle to help with boil over situations otherwise you sit there and watch it all the time.

I've boiled 14 gallons on Sunday in my 15 gallon Kettle, but I had to watch it very carefully.

i dont know much about the pots, but i would go to 15 gallon and get a spigot. If you dont want to go to 15 at least get a spigot.

I would not choose either of those. Get a 15-gallon aluminum stock pot for $70 from Instawares.com. You'll be happy with the extra capacity once you have it.

Just my 2 cents.

WOW!!! Thanks for the responses. :mug:

Now I REALLY don't know what to do. Seems like most suggest at least a spigot.

I live in a townhouse and really don't have the room to do 10 Gal batchs, Don't have room for kegging stuff and can't see myself bottleing 10 gals ?!?!

That is why I was leaning toward the 10 gallon pot? (but now with a spigot :confused: )

Craig

15-gallon pots are useful for 5 gallon batches, too. That's what I use it for. It gives me the ability to make really big beers that might boil over in a smaller pot. Not to mention, when I do move up to 10-gallon batches sometime in the not-too-distant future I'll be all set.

I have an 8 gallon megapot. It sure is sturdy and reasonably priced although it is made in China. Mine has no spigot so I use an autosiphon to remove the wort. If I was going to buy one today I would check out the Blichmann pots that just came on the market.

I can't vote for either one.

I personally think you'd be better off with a keg. You can get one legally from Sabco for ~100 with the lid cut out. And you can put weldless spigot and thermometer on it for about $50 more or so.

If money is an issue, a 10G aluminum pot can be fitted with a weldless fitting (DIY), for under $100.

OK, If i do get a ball valve with a barb on the bottom of the boil kettle..

Don't I have to sanitize the parts of the valve that were not in contact with the boiling wort?.. The internal parts of the valve and barb that are on the outside of the kettle? How would I do that? :confused:

CyclingCraig said:
OK, If i do get a ball valve with a barb on the bottom of the boil kettle..

Don't I have to sanitize the parts of the valve that were not in contact with the boiling wort?.. The internal parts of the valve and barb that are on the outside of the kettle? How would I do that? :confused:

I spray the stainless nipple on my valve with Starsan a couple of times before I connect a sanitized silicone hose to it for draining into my sanitized fermenters. Works like a champ.

I voted for the 10 gal megapot, but only because there wasn't an option for a 15 gallon with a spigot on there. If you are already spending $180, whats another $30. I love mine, but don't even think about getting one without the spigot. Trying to lift 12 gallons of 200+ degree wort would suck to the limit.

15 gal megapot 4 lyfe yo...REPRESENT!

Back