New Book

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastbaybrewer

Reaction score
Just ordered Gordon Strong's new book. Has anyone looked it over yet? If so what do you think?

Got mine yesterday, but only paged through it briefly. Probably won't have time to do any actual reading until the weekend.
Although, I could just stop dicking around on HBT and start reading it! 😊

I got mine and have been reading through it. I like it a lot. It's a very conversational read. He groups recipes not by style but by "everyday drinkers" and "strong beers" etc. He goes into the why of his recipes and gives you a sense of how his recipes evolved.

I really enjoyed his "Brewing Better Beer" though I didn't pick up many tips, I just liked the tone. Same with this book. I've got most of my recipes where I want them, but I like reading about his recipe development.

I brewed one of the recipes this weekend actually, or almost the recipe. I had planned a saison and leafing it through it I found a recipe with a really interesting mash schedule that works if you recirculate the mash. Dough in at 153F and then without heat recirc until the temp drops to 140, then bring it back up to 170 for mash out. He got a saison to finish at 1.002 with wyeast 3711 doing this. It took me roughly 75 minutes for the temp drop and then a half hour to get back up. It's bubbling away right now, so I'm pretty excited.

I'm enjoying it immensely. I like that he explains what he's going for with each recipe and what you can expect to taste so you know if you got it right. I'm planning on making a few of these once I start to get low on my Kolsch!

Latest posts

Back