New all grainer looking for blonde feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

369Brewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a long time reader, but this is my first time posting a thread. I've been doing extract for about two years and recently made the switch to all grain. My first all grain batch, a pale ale with some centennial and cascade hops, didn't turn out as expected. I think it was more of a problem with the process than anything (my wort chiller leaked an unknown amount of hose water into my cooling wort!!!!! :confused:).

I currently have a Belgian Dubbel extract recipe I made with WLP550 yeast in the primary. I'm planning on dumping my next batch, a Belgian Blonde, onto that yeast cake. I've never done this before, but I'm eager to give it a try. I really liked the way the 550 fermented and so far, the samples have been excellent.

I'm new to Belgians also. I wanted to try a Blonde because I thought it might please SWMBO. I was looking for something light and Belgiany :D. Here's the recipe:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 5.70 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.20 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.064 SG
Estimated Color: 6.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 26.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 50.0 %
3 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 25.0 %
2 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 16.7 %
8.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.2 %

1.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 Hop 5 22.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 15.0 Hop 6 4.4 IBUs
8.0 oz Sugar, Table (Sucrose) [Boil for 15 min] Sugar 7 4.2 %

Belgian Ale (White Labs #WLP550) Yeast cake from previous batch

It's going to be a single infusion mash at about 152 deg for 60 min with a batch sparge.

Sugar is not a typical ingredient for me but I wanted to bump up the OG without adding anymore color and thought it might help to dry it out a bit.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I'm a long time reader, but this is my first time posting a thread. I've been doing extract for about two years and recently made the switch to all grain. My first all grain batch, a pale ale with some centennial and cascade hops, didn't turn out as expected. I think it was more of a problem with the process than anything (my wort chiller leaked an unknown amount of hose water into my cooling wort!!!!! :confused:).

I currently have a Belgian Dubbel extract recipe I made with WLP550 yeast in the primary. I'm planning on dumping my next batch, a Belgian Blonde, onto that yeast cake. I've never done this before, but I'm eager to give it a try. I really liked the way the 550 fermented and so far, the samples have been excellent.

I'm new to Belgians also. I wanted to try a Blonde because I thought it might please SWMBO. I was looking for something light and Belgiany :D. Here's the recipe:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Estimated OG: 1.064 SG
Estimated Color: 6.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 26.8 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 50.0 %
3 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 25.0 %
2 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 16.7 %
8.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.2 %

1.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 Hop 5 22.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 15.0 Hop 6 4.4 IBUs
8.0 oz Sugar, Table (Sucrose) [Boil for 15 min] Sugar 7 4.2 %

Belgian Ale (White Labs #WLP550) Yeast cake from previous batch

It's going to be a single infusion mash at about 152 deg for 60 min with a batch sparge.

Sugar is not a typical ingredient for me but I wanted to bump up the OG without adding anymore color and thought it might help to dry it out a bit.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
I usually make a lower ABV batch then higher for the second batch. You should be fine anyway.That's alot of Carapils. 1# should be plenty.

Needs more sugar. 10%-20% is typical for a Belgian Blonde. You can use less base grain, if it gets too boozy.

I'd use some Biscuit and half as much Aromatic.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll mess around with those suggestions in beersmith and see what it does. I was nervous to use too much sugar, but maybe I'll bump it up to a pound and reduce the carapils to offset it.

Sounds tasty and you know I will be happy to give you a hand. The offer to bring a "mystery ingredient" is still there. And since I am your apprentice unfortunately I can't offer much advice other than "Relax; have a Homebrew". Those I can bring :)

Sounds tasty and you know I will be happy to give you a hand. The offer to bring a "mystery ingredient" is still there. And since I am your apprentice unfortunately I can't offer much advice other than "Relax; have a Homebrew". Those I can bring :)

Not sure if a mystery ingredient is going to work with this one. I'm shooting for something pretty specific because I want to reuse my yeast cake. I'm thinking we should plan a "mystery brew day" for next month...or we could do a "Mystery October Fest" brew, or even a "Mystery Holiday" brew to be ready around the holidays. For now, I'd be more than happy to sip on some of that cherry brew you have going :drunk:

After some careful consideration, here's my revised recipe:

Estimated OG: 1.057 SG
Estimated Color: 4.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 23.6 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type %/IBU
5 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 48.8 %
3 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) UK (1.0 SRM) Grain 29.3 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 9.8 %
4.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 2.4 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 Hop 18.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 15.0 Hop 4.7 IBUs
1 lbs Sugar, Table (Sucrose) [Boil for 15 min] Sugar 9.8 %

Belgian Ale (White Labs #WLP550) - Yeast cake from previous batch

I'll be brewing this on the 22nd of this month and can't wait. I just racked the dubbel out of primary tonight. On a side note, it was delicious. It felt kinda weird leaving all of that yeast and trub behind. Is it alright to let it sit in the closed primary for over a week before pitching onto it? As I said, I've never done this before, so I'm not sure.

That's hot. I'll bring the brews.

image-2102685832.jpg

I would do a quick yeast rinse and put the slurry into sanatized mason jars. Then use a calc to pitch the proper amount and save the rest. If you dump on the cake you'll be over pitching by quite a bit. You might not have any major ill effects, but you might not get the profile you're looking for either.

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I'm starting to reconsider pitching onto the yeast cake. I'm thinking about pulling some of the slurry out, maybe 2 cups worth (based on the calculations in Bob's thread) and saving that in the fridge until I brew on Thursday. Will that work/ be sufficient? I'm not sure I'll have enough free time in the next week to rinse the yeast and do a starter or I would give that a try.

That will work. Just make sure to use good sanitation and you'll be all set!

Back