New, 1st beer = awesome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phogaboa

Reaction score
Hello Forum.

I've helped some friends brew many times, maybe about ten times now. Finally my friend made a beer I really liked. It was a kit - brewers best milk stout. I liked it so much I knew I had to brew it. Previous brew were just not to my taste, but this was good. So, I bought an ingredient kit, and me and my buddy brewed it. It was awesome! I've drank half of it now. I also made 5 gallons of apple brew last Sunday.

So, we are grad students and typically poor. He has a nice set with stockpots and buckets and gadgets, wort chiller and a nice, instant read thermometer. He's brewed almost 19 batches now. We have been doing all extract kits. Most of our stuff has come out as session beers after a week or so of fermenting (seems to be fermenting fast, bubbles slow after just a week)

Brew in a bag (BIAB) has caught my eye because it looks like the cheapest way to all grain brewing. I have a 75$ gift certificate to amazon, and am thinking I will spend it on a big brewpot so we can benefit from the reduced cost of all grain brewing. Ingredient kits that make beer I like run $44 at my local brewshop, coming out to a little less than a buck a beer if ingredient costs alone are considered. I like the beer, but I also like commercial beer that has a similar cost. It is still worth it to me to do these extract kits, but I really like beer, and I really like brewing beer, so I'd like to do it more often.

So, I have a few questions:

- I like IPA's and Milk Stouts. I want to BIAB to reduce cost. I don't currently brew high alcohol beers, but would like to be able to in the future. How big a pot do I need to BIAB? I'm thinking of this 15 gallon

- Can BIAB be done on a stove with these big pots?

15 gallons great size to future proof. Or you can get a keg cheaper and cut the top.
Stove top hard unless you have a commercial range. Well, depends on how much you'll be boiling.
Get a keg and outdoor burner.

- Can BIAB be done on a stove with these big pots?

Generally not, unless you have a super stove with one of those "high output" specialty chef burners. I can boil 6.5 gallons on my gas stove with that burner, but it still takes an hour to come up to a boil.

A turkey fryer is probably going to be something you need. I think you can get one, with the pot, for $50 or so.

I have a link in my profile for the electric burners I fot on amazon. They allow me to boil up to 3.5 gallons from mash temp to boiling in about 18 minutes. A vast improvement over the couple hours with the stock burners.
So I am currently able to do anything up to partial boil/partial mash brew in a bag with my 5 gallon (20QT) SS BK/MT. I use a 5G paint strainer bag with a cake cooling rack in the bottom of the kettle to keep the bag/grains from burning.
I heat the BK/MT with rack,bag,& floating thermometer in it lashed to one of the kettles' handles in 2 gallons of spring water. When it hits 150F,I stir in the 5lbs of grains to break up dough balls & evenly wet the grains. When it hits 152-155F (depending on style),I put the lid on & wrap it up in a thick winter hunting coat for the 1 hour mash.
I heat 1.5 gallons of the spring water to 165-168F for the sparge. This gives 3.5 gallons for the partial boil in said 5G kettle. Since 5lbs of grains equals about the same as a 3lb bag of DME,I use this for all hop additions. Stiring in the extract as a late,flameout addition. Works quite well & is doable on a stove...

Latest posts

Back