Never got my OG reading!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAlexander

Reaction score
I was at the very end of me brew session last night, with chilled wort headed to the fermenter. I had already grabbed my sample for gravity reading and set it on my work top. I didn't take a look at it immediately as I had to baby sit the transfer cause the whole leaf hops were plugging the valve and I needed to babysit the transfer. As soon as the transfer finished, a battle in its self, I grabbed the thermometer in order to adjust my gravity reading (I transfer @ 75 F) and tragedy strikes. With a swift swing of my arm I whack the cylinder and hydrometer and end up with glass shards, little BBs, and wort all over my garage floor. Im scared to death of putting anything into the fermenter until transferring to secondary and I dont have a decent thief, yet.

Now I know my pre-boil SG was 1.050. I had an average boil for 60 minutes. Any of you gents have a guesstimation of what my OG may have been? I can prove my ABV with an ebulliometer later nut I'd just like to know how close I got to my target of 1.058.

Looks like a thief and a little digital refrac or on deck for purchases when tax returns come my way.

do you use a program to make your recipe's? that will usually estimate your pre boil and OG from that. Hops and other things impact OG but your probably safe guessing somewhere aroun 1058

Latest posts

Back