NEMA Power Inputs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i8humans

Reaction score
I need flanged inlets for my control panel. I'm currently using 2x 2000W 120V elements with no control panel. I'd like to use an inlet that would still work if I move and have 240V available.

Can I use L6-30 3 wire inlets and connect to my 120V source? I'm planning on using L6-30 outlets/plugs for my elements.

Should I consider either L10-30 or L14-30 instead?

I see no reason why it wouldn't work. The L6-30 should carry the 120v happily and easily without any grief. Granted if you had them wired for 120v then plugged directly into 240v you'd likely have a bad day as a best case scenario. I'd even make sure to label them as 120v input only just in case.

If you doing end up going bigger or going 240v route, having the L14-30 will be safer because of a hard wired ground. You can then wire the power in to come from a 4 plug dryer or stove outlet.

You said inlets. You just mean power in, correct?

Thanks all for the good advice. I will use the L14-30 inlets for their flexibility. These are being used for power in only.

I think the L6-30 would work fine wired as hot/neutral/ground for the 120V hookup and hot/hot/ground for 240V. In both cases there is a dedicated ground wire.

With that said, I like the 4 wire setup on the L14 so I have an option to use 240 and 120 in the same box and also the same inlet.

Latest posts

Back